What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oklahoma sarracenia can S. purpurea grow outside all year? What about its hybrids?

I live in Oklahoma and wanted to know if Sarracenia purpurea or its hybrids could grow outside year round because I know they are (or were) native to Canada and its lows are much colder than ours has been in ten years, even though I pretty much gave an answer to my own question can I have some recognition?

S. purpuraea has a wide range extending as far south as South Carolina. I would imagine that you're ok. Just do winter protection like you would do for any potted plant (mulch, cover with a tarp, put in a garage, etc.--some way to shelter it from the cold).

Last edited:
I live in Oklahoma and wanted to know if Sarracenia purpurea or its hybrids could grow outside year round because I know they are (or were) native to Canada and its lows are much colder than ours has been in ten years, even though I pretty much gave an answer to my own question can I have some recognition?

Purpurea var purpurea will be fine but the ssp venosa tend to be less cold tollerant I have found over here in the U.K., you may need to provide protection to those.

Cheers
Steve

Back