What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OH NO!

glider14

Always a newbie
OH NO! southern indiana and northern Kentucky had a BIG storm yesterday! winds were so strong that they ripped off the walls of a storage barn at my dads work!...and that was before the rain. when i got home i noticed my N. Ventrata had been ripped from its hanging basket and was laying on the ground....about 20ft away in the neighboors yard!! anyways i retrieved it and noticed there were only about 4 root strands on there....when i repotted it about a week ago....ID NEVER SEEN SO MANY ROOTS! how long would it take to get over this MASSIVE shock.
Thanks
Alex

PS: im also very mad because if it abandons its first pitcher its mad since NOVEMBER(!!!) im gonna flip!

Glider,

Pot it back up, and treat it like a cutting - it's going to stop growing for a while so it can re-grow the roots. Keep it in a HUMID environment for at least two months while it re-establishes the root system.

The plant will eventually be ok - ventratas are tough - however you are going to loose that pitcher, no doubt about it.

Bummer, but not a total loss.

thanks. well it sucks that im gonna loose the pitcher
mad.gif
. its outside and still very humid outside.
Alex

hmm, a storm like that recently happened where I live in missouri
the ENTIRE vegetable garden at my house was DESTROYED
like it was a good size garden
20 ft X 12 ft and so were the other less impressive gardens
but my Cps were ok because they were in the screened in porch and so no damage was done!
yay!

Also add water to the pitchers; it'll help keep the plant hydrated.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Aug. 11 2006,8:22)]Also add water to the pitchers; it'll help keep the plant hydrated.
the thing is...there are no pitchers. it was making its very first pitcher since november and the stage it was in was where the tendril was lengthening.
Alex

OK.  Honestly, it isn't as bad as you might think.  Just give it less sun exposure than usual for a little while and it'll be fine.  A Nep's "energy" is mostly above ground, unlike a lot of plants for which the loss of 90% of their roots would land them in critical care.

I traded for a couple Neps a few years ago (not here) and received one that had been scalped and one that had been yanked out of a pot with the loss of most roots.  I was annoyed the trader had taken a bunch of cuttings for other trades, but assumed the scalped one would quickly grow back because of its healthy root system.  I thought the rootless one was in serious trouble.  But it didn't work that way.  The rootless one thrived and was pitchering in no time and the scalped one struggled for a long time before it began pitchering.

I repotted another Nep earlier this summer and discovered it was actually rooted in a 35mm film canister, without holes, buried in LFS in a 4" pot.  The gooey root zone stunk to high heaven, but that Nep had been growing quite happily.  And it was a highlander too, not some ultralowlander adapted to growing in stinky goo.  A lot of other plants couldn't have survived that experience.

If it was a very healthy plant before the incident then I don't see why it would have problems recovering. It really is one of the toughest plants out there.

Back