What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh my goodness

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
I was playing around on my computer's encyclopedia, and typed in venus flytrap  When it gave me the info it read like this.  </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">or Venus flytrap; Flowering perennial plant (Dionaea muscipula), sole member of its genus, in the sundew family, notable for its unusual habit of catching and eating insects and other small animals [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>  Sorry to say, the vft is not I repeat is not a sundew.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

last i checked, venus fly traps are definately not in the sundew family!

you found this in an encyclopedia? can you send me more info on this (brand, author, ect.)? i'm thinking that i will have to write them and let them know of their mistake, and try to get it corrected.

thanks,
technoracer

erm, Dionaea ARE in the sundew family, the Droseraceae. it doesn't mean they are sundews, but they are closely related!

Yes, I agree with gardenofeden. ***nods head***

i stand corrected, then.

funny, i even re-read the chapter about vft's in the savage garden before posting...

technoracer

They must have derived that answer from watching "Little Shop of Horrors"

Cx

vfts are not sundews but they are very closly related as gardem of eden said , aldrovanda is also related as well .

Oh man!!  Thought my heart medications were giving me deja vu
wink.gif
,  but it wasn't
biggrin.gif
.  I had seen this topic before:   <span style='color:green'>Big encyclopedia mistake</span>

'corse, there's still a lot of debate on how closely related the plants are, but with the sundew familly being so old and so big, it shouldn't be a surprise to find even less dewish plants in the familly
wink.gif

Oh yea. now that I think about it I remember hearing that somewhere.

The sundew drosera falconeri is very simular looking to the vft (wide petiole, trap with crease in center , the majority of tentacles around the trap, and also the way the traps unfrurl).

Hey Guys, don't forget: They may be in the same family, but in a different genous.  Therein lies the huge differences, and why you can't really cross breed them.  I know someone tried it before, and supposedly they got sprouts, but those sprouts promptly died.

The family Droseraceae actually contains several genous of cp's:  Drosera (duh), dionaea, aldrovanda, (some one help out if I'm missing any, or I've mistakenly included any).

edit:Arg! Goldtrap, you're right!

I also remember reading that the VFT's closest realative is the aldrovanda...I wonder if anyone's every tried to cross those...or if it would even work...

i've noticed that before pond boy , alot of similarities . scoalty , byblis belongs in the bibliceae family , not droseraceae , and drosophyllum is in another family as well , believe it or not , drosophyllum are actually more related to nepenthes or was it with flytraps and sundew , can't remeber for sure .
confused.gif
, confusing ain't it , probably the sudnew family adopted dionaea as there new son
tounge.gif

We may see that Dionaea gets its own Family name in the future. Donald E. Schnell points out in his book, Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada, Second Edition, 2002, that Dionaea has enough differences that it should be placed in its own Family, Dionaeceae.

The reasons for this is that the trapping mechanisms and leaves are entirely different, Dionaea has a rhizome, and the flowers have important differences. (Schnell, 2002).

Drosophylum is related to Nepentis and Droseracea so i guess that means vfts are also related (however distantly) to Nepenthes. Interesting how there just one big super family!

Back