What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd leaf/stalk on pinguicula aphrodite

• Thread starter Vidyut
  • Start date
Just now saw a strange stalk kind of thing on my pinguicula aphrodite. There isn't a flower - it is just a cup kind of a thing at the end of the stalk. Anyone know what is going on? Excuse how it looks, at this point, I'm grateful it is alive at all given the hot weather we have.

DcliJWoW0AA-s29.jpg

Yep that’s pretty odd! I’m betting it’s just some sort of mutant leaf or flower stalk. Let us know if it develops any further!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've seen pictures of similar leaf deformities before. Sometimes the whole leaf does that and appears more like a pitcher. It's likely to be a one-time thing.

When Butterworts don't have success catching insects with their sticky leaves, they revert to their ancient ancestry and start to produce pitcher like leaves instead. Your plant is going through a type of metamorphosis and will soon lose all it's sticky flat leaves and replace them with long tentacled pitcher like leaves.

Not really, just kidding. ;)

But yeah, looks super unusual and really cool! Thanks for posting!

Last edited:
for me it is a leaf,I already had this phenomenon

anomalie.jpeg

I spent some time observing the plant earlier. The strange thing hasn't developed into anything, but there is dew on the inside of the cup like thing. Also strange is that the short leaf at 9 o'clock appears to.... be producing something.... plantlets? I've never seen this plant (and any of its half a dozen clones) throw up plantlets from anywhere other than the base of the leaves before, but this is definitely more toward the tip of the leaf and the leaf is still attached to the plant and actually has dew (most of the other leaves have lost it in this weather).

Makes me wonder if these oddities are some strange way of coping with the extreme (for pinguicula) weather, as the two oddities are pretty much the only things on the plant that are dewy (other than newly emerging leaves).

Busy working right now, but will find my macro lens and try to take more informative photos later + examine the rest of the plants for further oddities.

Last edited:
It's a mutant leaf, the cupped design supposedly a defining trait of the species P. utricularioides and theorized might be how something like these may have turned into the bladderworts, relatives that they are to this genus. Could be caused by any number of things, but if you've had odd weather recently that's more than enough of a stressor.

The oddity. I wonder if it is a flower stalk that couldn't quite become one because of the heat. But the glands on the inside seem to imply it is a leaf...

Dc0Kx8QWsAAN3D3.jpg

I traced the leaf with the bump thingies that could be the beginning of plantlets at end of leaf and found an offshoot that thinks it is lettuce. Not easy to photograph, because it is tucked right under the plant and I didn't want to disturb things too much and risk breaking leaves or disturbing roots while plant was already stressed, but...

Dc0K2I0X0AAKVaa.jpg

Dc0K48mX0AAGdIO.jpg

Now I'm thinking heat induced dementia or something.

One leaf from this plantlet - lower ones, not seen in above photos, sort of wraps around the main plant a bit and emerges up between the leaves and had these odd bumps. They are looking like the bumps that form before a plantlet forms on a pulling, but at least in the couple of days that i noticed them, there has been no growth in them.

Dc0K8RmW0AAbPu_.jpg

This is almost the tip of the leaf.

Makes me wonder if my pinguicula aphrodite is morphing into another plant. lol.

This is how the plants normally look, when not being cooked.

DVKrjY0W0AAmc33.jpg

Back