What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
North - Central CP Society Aug 16th!

I'm trying to put out feelers to see if there are enough people around in the Northern Central region of the US that would like to form some type of group, society, or random gathering.

I know there's a few of us in Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Minnesota, Michigan, etc...

And here's a map to show some of the spread of people that identified themselves.
http://www.buddymapping.com/maps/LHNNmap (There's at least 13 people in my driving distance)

I'd be willing to host a BBQ day at my location in late summer, by then I should have my outdoor garden setup and maybe another vault too! If I have empty offices at the time, I can also host a conference area.

My address:
151 N 4th St
DeKalb, IL 60115

If you want to map it. I'm not sure how other societies work, but I'm sure there could be multiple meeting points to try and get a spread of locations a little larger.

Again I'm just throwing this out there to see who would be interested.
If so, post, PM, or email me so I can gather a list.

-Nathan

----
Update of people on board:
Me! MrFlyTrap2 (terraforums) - DeKalb, IL
droseraguy (terraforums) - Kakakee, IL
JMurphy97 (terraforums) - Milwaukee, WI
CPlantaholic (terraforums), plus friend - Cedar Rapids, IA (maybe)
kitkor - (icps forum) - Ohio
endodoc - (icps forum) - multiple people - Twin Cities
akuz (terraforums), Chicago, IL
pipis, (terraforums), DeKalb, IL
nepenthes_ak (terraforums), Ohio (remote supporter)
SashaM24 (terraforums), IN
JB_Orchidguy (terraforums), MN (Once moved there)

--------------------------
UPDATE 5/29:

Just to give an update, I'm picking at date for an open house day of Saturday, August 16th. Formal time of 11:00 AM - 7:00 PM, but everyone is welcome to come and go as they need to.

Event details:
- We'll be BBQ'ing outside in my recently built alley garden, (photos soon).
- Tours of my growing vault, and vault annex if it's done by then
- Outside growing area
- Tissue cultures

Basic BBQ stuff will be provided, veggies, hot dogs, hamburgers, soda. Feel free to bring your own steak, vegetarian meal, etc if you'd like that instead. BYOB if you want it, lol.

Bring some show and tell / trade plants as well! I'm sure they will be fine in the summer heat or vault.

During the event we can talk formal interests of starting an ongoing CP Society for the region.

Please RSVP to me via PM or email me at my address 'nateniu' over at gmail.

Hope to see everyone here. 8)

------------------
Update 6/17:

Just giving a quick update here. Sometime around the 1st here, I'll be posting more specific directions / parking information / etc.

So far we have a nice turnout forming. Somewhere between 6 - 10 people plan on coming out. Don't forget if you want to bring anything to trade, start think'n about what you'd like to bring! Even for show and tell!

Some of the things I'll have on hand for trades:
- Replacement RO filters
- (Maybe) Agristarts VFT's
- Various Seeds
- Tissue cultures
- Odds and ends equipment
- Furniture / storage shelving
- Fish tanks

Below are some ideas of what I plan on sharing / discussing / learning more about from other growers that stop in to visit. Of course anything anyone would like to contribute and talk about is more than welcome, this will be a very informal day.

Tentative topics for discussion:
- Pictures and Video from Meadowview
- Lessons learned from Meadowview
- Outdoor growing environments for our local area
- Nepenthes setups
- BBQ!
- Group orders
- Society formation / Website
- Regular meetings

More info to come soon!

I'll participate if we can get several of us together. I'm around Kankakee, Ill. currently. While I'm thinking of it I'll put a post on the CP listserve as well directing them here.

Last edited:
That could be cool. I'm about 2 hours away in Milwaukee, WI.

Great idea. I'm debating what I should do as I live in Cedar Rapids, IA. It should only be a 3 hour drive, though. I could also bring my friend, the 1 other person in Iowa who grows cps as well, lol. The only issue would be school starting up August. If possible, could the meeting be in later July? If not, I understand. I don't want you to have to change everything just for me.
Thanks for posting this info,
Aaron

Nathan,

Excellent idea! I am in Chicago, about 70 miles from your place. It will be great to get together and discuss things (and possibly see your famous vault?).

Is it possible to pin this thread to the top for awhile? It is getting off the first page of the topic list. I am sure there will be more replies if more people see your post. I was able to find it only because I received your message and the link to the forum thread on the cp board.

Cheers,

Andrey

It would really be better to keep this topic bumped than to pin it because people don't pay any attention to pinned topics. lol They kinda tend to blend into the background.

Looks like we're starting to get some numbers! Andrey, I'll try to bump it every now and then with updates, maybe that will help. I'm thinking that we're at the numbers that I would be willing to host a BBQ, even if it's just a small get together with a few. I know some are still a rather long distance away, but it might help to start getting some things going. 8)

I'll post some updates.

There's an Anita from north central Minnesota interested as well. Mental note to retrieve email address.

Might get enough yet ?

Anyone know an Emily from Chicago ?

Where did jiana54 go ??

Come on folks lets hear from lots more.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I am interested in the meeting. I live in DeKalb along with MrFlyTrap2, therefore transportation will not be an issue. However, I am going to study these wonderful plants at Oxford University for the summer and will be leaving June 23rd and won't be back till the end of August. Let me know what dates you guys might be thinking and we'll see if I can make it.

Cheers

Greg

Looks great!
I will also try to post here from time to time to keep the topic alive.
Nathan, you can count on my help if some gathering will actually come out of your initiative.

Best,

Andrey

i would like to get involved but I live in Ohio, but I totaly support you guys.

You can count me in when I get up north. I will be in Kasson, MN, but ATM I am in GA.

I'll add you to the list JB. 8) When is the time frame you'll be moving again?

Pushing this up...

I am hoping to be in MN by Valentines day Nate. But it will take me a little while to get my GR finished before I can devote time to the society though. Unless it is not that far of a drive to go to the meetings. :-D

I'm trying to put out feelers to see if there are enough people around in the Northern Central region of the US that would like to form some type of group, society, or random gathering.

I know there's a few of us in Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Minnesota, Michigan, etc...

And here's a map to show some of the spread of people that identified themselves.
http://www.buddymapping.com/maps/LHNNmap (There's at least 13 people in my driving distance)

I'd be willing to host a BBQ day at my location in late summer, by then I should have my outdoor garden setup and maybe another vault too! If I have empty offices at the time, I can also host a conference area.

My address:
151 N 4th St
DeKalb, IL 60115

If you want to map it. I'm not sure how other societies work, but I'm sure there could be multiple meeting points to try and get a spread of locations a little larger.

Again I'm just throwing this out there to see who would be interested.
If so, post, PM, or email me so I can gather a list.

-Nathan

----
Update of people on board:
Me! MrFlyTrap2 (terraforums) - DeKalb, IL
droseraguy (terraforums) - Kakakee, IL
JMurphy97 (terraforums) - Milwaukee, WI
CPlantaholic (terraforums), plus friend - Cedar Rapids, IA (maybe)
kitkor - (icps forum) - Ohio
endodoc - (icps forum) - multiple people - Twin Cities
akuz (terraforums), Chicago, IL
pipis, (terraforums), DeKalb, IL
nepenthes_ak (terraforums), Ohio (remote supporter)
SashaM24 (terraforums), IN
JB_Orchidguy (terraforums), MN (Once moved there)

hey! thats my idea!! haha its all good! :D im in but i wont be here long mates...im 2 hours soon to be about 20 XD

Date has been picked! Please see the first message in this thread.

Dang, I was thinking that Ohio wasn't too far away. Then I googled the drive, and it came up as 6.5 hours. Yikes! Quite a drive. :-(

And MrFlyTrap, although google maps satellite doesn't have a clear picture of your area, it is completely mapped on street view. Talk about creepy. YIkes!

Saturday, August 16, 2008...
Great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back