What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Central CP Meeting 2010

droseraguy

Illinois
North Central CP Meeting May 23rd, near Kankakee, Illinois

This is and update to this thread to include some quick info. The event will be held at my house just outside Aroma Park, Ill. from around 11-4 on Sunday May 23rd. You can PM me or email for more detailed info. See you there !

As has been discussed in a previous thread there are a couple options for the spring/summer get together. Nathan and I have both offered to host. (Anyone else is welcome to throw in as well.) Nate's place is in Dekalb, Illinois. Mine is in Aroma Park, Illinois just outside Kankakee. This thread is being posted to gauge the interest in either location and to attempt to get a date that agrees with a majority of people. The last 2 gatherings a Nate's were great so anyone that is considering showing up should definitely chime in. We've had a variety of interests that really covers the whole spectrum of cp's. Let's hear from some Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Missouri folks.

Last edited:
I would love to come if I can. The only dates I know for sure that I cannot make it are mid-July.

Obviously Aroma Park would be my preference due to distance from me, but you guys decide the location. The location probably will not be the deciding factor for me, but rather the dates.

Well from IN/KY, any weekend other than 2nd weekend of May or the 18th-28th of June would work out great! Have a road trip to see some wild jonesii and purps in flower and a cruise planned :-D It would be a blast to meet all the many faces I've come to chat with! As for location, both seem fairly close to each other so either or wouldn't make any difference for me.
Looking forward to making it this year! Thanks Aaron, droseraguy and Nate for organizing this! Sorry if I forgot to thank anyone!

June works best for me if it is a Saturday. If it is a Sunday, either May or June would be fine.

Deb and I will come.
I have already given away most of my surplus plants since I didn't think we were having a meeting this spring, but I do have a few assorted young pings I can bring, and maybe a few D. binatas for trade or giveaway.

Mark Wilson let me know in a pm that he thinks he should be able to attend anytime, as long as nothing pops up that he's unaware of at the moment. He has a trip to South Dakota planned sometime towards August.

As for me, either location will work. Nates is closer by about an hour, but if we get more people from the south/southeast committed, then I'm more than happy to drive an extra hour! :)
Anytime between May 7th until May 23rd is ideal for me, but I will make it to the gathering regardless of when it is. It's just that I'll be taking a physics class from May 28th until July 2nd. Not like I can't take a day off from studying though!

Hi All,

Okay Chris, here's a calendar breakdown for you to get an idea of what we have so far.
(I corrected it twice!.... hopefully I got it right this time! Guess I can't work at 3am like I used to!) :headwall:
Spring Mid-West Gathering:

CPCalandarNEW1-1.jpg

CPCalandarNEW2-1.jpg

CPCalandarNEW3.jpg

I took what everyone said and put it on calendar format.
(+ is a good day for someone, X is NOT!)
Don't know if it helps, but this is how scheduling looks so far!
I thought it would be interesting to see it laid out.

Hope we hear from more people, and that there is a workable date in the end!!!
It will be difficult if after all of this, there is no "good" time for everyone!
Well, can only do the best we can, right!

I also am shy on good growing plants, but hope to acquire something of interest :drool:
before then, to trade. Even without something utterly fantastic, it is always nice
to see everyone and to meet new people.
I might have some odds and ends, like ol' fish tank terrariums and such,
if anyone is interested.

Well, it is good to see you are staying on top of this Chris. It is a lot of work to do, :clap:
as Nathan knows also. But it is rewarding in the end... I think! :scratch:
:beer: Here's to a potentially good time by all! :woot::boogie::lac::blahblah9xm::gulp::banana2::wave:

By the way Chris,
how did you convince your wife that this was a "good" thing? :hail::lac:

Good Growin'! :water:
Paul

Last edited:
Thanks Paul ! It looks like so far we are looking at Sunday, May 23rd as the best time. Your also right.... I should mention this to my wife. Seriously though she saw how cool everyone was and didn't even bat an eye when I mentioned that maybe we could host.

At the moment May 23rd looks open to me.

Hey Paul,
I will have to take you up on your offer for terrariums. I'm trying to start up tissue culturing and am in need of one. Also, if you have one that is very has very "low" sides to it, that would be awesome. I'm attempting to get some petiolaris dews going in the near future....
Let me know whether I should bring some dews for you or how much cash I should bring for them (I know you're mainly into neps atm).

Chris,

Date okay by me, so far! :clap:

Let us know when it is set in stone! :p

Aaron, PM'd ya! :bigthumpup:
(Although bringing me large sums of cash sounds good!...
it's not needed! Dews are good fun too!)

Now to wait and hope there is no fly in the ointment... :glare:
Although I assume there is time to arrange a back-up plan (date) if necessary.

Oh, I might have a little bit of live Sphagnum to trade if there is interest,
IF it doesn't die in the heat before then!
(Growing it is a bit seasonal for me.)

Hey Aaron, I've got a whole load of TC stuff that we can look through if it ends up being here.

Oh wow, i had no idea you were into tc.
That would be awesome

Speaking of the location....
I wonder where Nathan is????
it must have been perfect timing when he checked-in last time...

Oh, you micro-propagation guys!
How I would love to get into TC more if I could find the time!
(I suppose I would have to find a place to do it too!)
Seems the house is never big enough for all our interests, hobbies and needs!

Well, it should be nice for everyone to see your set-up Chris (assuming we we meet there).
Nathan did have an interesting grow-room (cave),
but it will be nice to see what you have been up to. :water:
As I said before, it is always good to see how others are doing things.
There is always other ways to propagate, grow & do things, and it's helpful
to see what others do in order to get new ideas.

TC is an interesting and fascinating part of the hobby.
Oh yea... TC.. sure!... I can already hear my wife...
asking me what I am wanting to be doing now!!! :hail::lac:

I guess am getting psyched for the gathering.
(Are you keeping and alternate date in mind in case it of natural disaster?)
Oh yea, this is the mid-west! Well, we do get bad snow, occasional hail... tornado?
Earthquake? Well, what do we get here?
[Wow! I guess perhaps an alternate day isn't needed!]

So is Sunday May 23rd the official date? Or is it still tentative while we wait and see what others can make it out?

I've got some Nep basals and Sarr divisions I'll be bringing for trade/sale, hope to see everyone there!

23rd it is going once !

For me personally its later in the year.. There is talk of us returning home to the States early-mid July but I won't get leave until late July/ early August. I would love to be there but the Army is like water in a sieve when it comes to anything! Hope I can make it regardless or if I can't maybe meet some of you guys when I get back anyway! :D Go fishin or somethin'!

23rd... going twice!

:woot::woot: 23rd... going twice ! :boogie::boogie:

And don't worry B.Adam,
there will be others if you can't make this one.
We have done fall ones too.

Ohhh! Nep Basals! :drool: Mmmm! Sarrs! :drool:

So not to be a pain in anybody's side but...now that we know when we're going, WHERE are we going? :poke::-O

Hey FRcNcH3z!

:scratch: Didn't you know? ???
We're meeting at YOUR house!!! :-))
:banana2::boogie::woot::beer::rookwoot:

Back