What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noooo! Root rot?!

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
Is this root rot or is the vine just wooding over?

2db3qes.jpg

The lower part that turned black is starting to get a woody texture. Please tell me this is no root rot! The basals seem fine. Is this root rot? :(

It's spreading up towards the green leaves, no leaves are showing any blackness yet. The soil doesn't seem wet, but it's very, very moist. I can ring a bit of water out, but not easily. Do I need to repot ASAP? Can I stop this? HELP!

***This is a ventricosa x talangensis, I've had it for three months. I just started to see this when I added live sphag over the pots. :(

It's just wooding over.

that will happen. Dont worry

Doesn't look like root rot, looks like the vine is just turning woody. My N. alata has 4 or 5 that look exactly like that and it still grows great and puts out plenty of pitchers.

Phew, thank you so much! I was really worried it was root rot because I just added some live sphag. I'll lower the humidity in the terrarium just in case. Right now, I'm letting it dry out a bit in a warm, low humidity (40%) room. I sat it on a hand towel to pull any extra water out. It was sitting on egg crate in the terrarium, but there's a lot of extra water in there. I'll dry it up a bit.

It's darker brown (almost black) than the part that is currently wooded over. You can see the color of the wooded over part in the bottom right.

It's not real problem unless you notice leaves turning brown that are too young to be dying or a growth point that is faltering.

It's not real problem unless you notice leaves turning brown that are too young to be dying or a growth point that is faltering.

Alright, that's good then. I'm glad I didn't cause root rot on one of my favorite neps! :blush:

Thanks again for the super quick responses guys!! :)

Back