What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No gas on the 15th

Though I haven't heard of this before now, I take it to mean that some people are going to try to "use no gas" on the 15th.

Goooood luck.

Point a) Most people either have school or work on the 15th.

Point b) Just about everything in our lives is tied to gas in one way or another. I suppose you may be able to do it if you dig yourself a hole in the ground and lie in it naked all day. :-\

Nice idea, bad planning.

Hhhmmm... Lying naked in a hole.. you may just have something there.

They had people on CNN talking about this letter going around and how stupid it was and how it's never been documented to do anything before. It's dumb. "Whoo let's not buy gas for one whole day... let's change the wooorld maaaan!.... cough cough maaaaaaaaan the oil industries take advantage of third world countries maaaaan. Toke"

1 hour later....

"Man.. I've got the mun-chies man.. let's go to 7/11 for some Cheetos."

If it makes you feel better, I can't drive so I guess I'll be participating in the no gas on the 15th boycott. I better stock up on snacks first. I like snacks.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

Please read this. It s a BAD idea.

I summerize said article as follows:

Basically the premise of the whole thing is flawed. This doesnt call on users to use less gas, just to shift their purchace date one day. The very same amount of gas is sold either way, so no harm comes of it. The gass out day doent call on users to make a sacrafice by actually giving up something

ALSO, the primary potenital effect of this gass-out day is to hurt those at the very end of the oil-gas chain: the independant service owners, who have almost no say in setting gas prices.

the "gas out" day is a punch in the nose to the wrong person

Gas prices are driven by supply and demand. No amount of consumer gimmiky or showmanship will lower its prices in the end

"unfortunatly for many people acheaving the goal for liftime lower gas useage, the only real way to lower prices, would mean cutting down on their driving or driving more fuel-efficiant cars, solutions they find unappealing"

In this case, the only message being sent is "we consumers are so desperate for gas that we cannot do without it for a few days to demonstrate our dissadisfaction wih its cost

I only buy gas when my tank is at the red zone. If that happens on the 15th, I'm buying gas. If it doesn't then I'm not buying gas. The only time I buy gas w/o being in the red zone is when I know that prices are about to go up again and I want to get it as cheap as possible. Right now, the lowest gas around here is $2.85 and ranges up to $2.93.

What is the point of tacking on the 9/10 of a cent to gas? It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Can anyone explain that to me?

Its a good idea but its futile. The oil companies reign supreme until they exhaust the oil in the earth.

Just say that nobody buys gas on the 15th. You will either make sure you have enough gas on the 14th or you will just wait until the 16th to buy gas. Either way you will use the same amount of gas and the oil companies lost absolutely nothing.

Well I have to work that day. God when do i not work.

I hear people complain about the cost of gas, but it's often those who choose to live far from work. Maybe that's the price of living in a solidly white outer suburb. Since many have bloated houses, they also complain about the price of oil in the winter and electricity in the summer. Those big yards need plenty of mowing after all the fertilizing too. So more complaints. What's a person to do?

Hey, less traffic right?

I hear people complain about the cost of gas, but it's often those who choose to live far from work. Maybe that's the price of living in a solidly white outer suburb. Since many have bloated houses, they also complain about the price of oil in the winter and electricity in the summer. Those big yards need plenty of mowing after all the fertilizing too. So more complaints. What's a person to do?

If only my life was so simple, then I'd have no reason to gripe. :-(

Sometimes people don't have a choice to live far from where they work. Either housing costs are too high "in the city" or multiple jobs in various locations require people to live in between both places. If only it were easy to get up and move somewhere else when the gas prices go sky high; but alas, we do what we can. I think most people are upset because there is such a staggering difference between the prices now and the prices one or two years ago, when we all moved to the places we chose to live.

xvart.

Sometimes people don't have a choice to live far from where they work. Either housing costs are too high "in the city" or multiple jobs in various locations require people to live in between both places. If only it were easy to get up and move somewhere else when the gas prices go sky high; but alas, we do what we can. I think most people are upset because there is such a staggering difference between the prices now and the prices one or two years ago, when we all moved to the places we chose to live.

xvart.

I agree, my mom remembers when she used to swear she would never pay more than a dollar for gas. The irony....:slap:

I agree, my mom remembers when she used to swear she would never pay more than a dollar for gas. The irony....:slap:

Thats depressing and makes me feel old. I remember when it was $.89 lol And I am only 20!

Thats depressing and makes me feel old. I remember when it was $.89 lol And I am only 20!

Yeah, the lowest I ever saw it when I started driving was $0.69 a gallon and it was a pretty standard sight to see around $0.74 or so. Actually $0.749. lol.

xvart.

Well I'm allmost out of gas so I'll have to full up tomorrow.

Jerry

Back