What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New year, new macros

Great pictures Hans, thanks for sharing and happy New Years to everyone.

Great pics ...love your macros!
Are you sure about the id on that dielsiana?...it looks a bit different than others i have seen.

Thanks, folks :) The dielsiana is still a baby, less than an inch across.

Ohhh ahhhh, very sparkly! Great pictures!

Beautiful sundews! Dumb question: How does one distinguish between D. spatulata and D. dielsiana. To me they look alike.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have these dews looking similar you can always compare flowers and tell wich is wich. If you do a search you will find some pics and clearly see the differences.

The trouble with D. spatulata is that there is both a white and pink flower. Does D. dielsiana have a slight cup shape to its trap?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice macros! You have well grown dews, keep up the good work! Though, I wish my camera would be able to take macros like that.

Thanks again for the photo's Hans!

Re: Drosera dielsiana is one of those highly variable South African species designed by the Creator to drive collectors insane.. Juvenille plants don't resemble what they mature into quite frequently. Depending on location, lamina (leaf blades holding the trapping hairs) can be elongated (like a short D. aliciae) or close to "tennis paddle" roundish. I've grown both. Plants also can change form in times of stress, e.g. drought or after flowering. Populations within different ranges look different as far as the rosettes go, and individuals within these populations differ as well! So, in the case of D. dielsiana the criteria for diagnosis primarily depends on the scape, flower and seed testa - and these are by no means always consistent either, especially in cultivated individuals.

Back