What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

spent half the afternoon repotting 1/2 my Orchidioides utrics and came up with this

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Untitled-23.jpg

Untitled-3-2.jpg

missing from the tank are humboldtii, reniformis, nephrophylla(because i forgot to throw it in there) and a presumed decessed nelumbifolia. present are geminiloba, two clones of alpina, asplundii(was presumed dead but discovered 4 tubers and a lollon), praetermissa, endresii, jamesoniana and alpina x endresii as well as 3 pots of H. minor(it refused to come out of its old pot in one piece) and N. aristo.

in another tank my novae-zealandiae is blooming
Untitled-16.jpg

Woot, more money used toward Utrics! Lookin good rattler.

-Ben

Cool! I like your H. minor, I hope that mine will look like that some day

Looks good. Interesting double pot method on that jamesoniana. Let me know how it works out

i didnt want to repot it and was worried it would get to wet so i pushed some LFS strands into the bottom of its pot and set it in a pot 1/2 full of LFS hoping wicking action will work well enough that i dont have to worry but will keep a close eye on it for the next month. all the others have a short layer of LFS followed by a layer of coconut husk chips with more LFS on top with a bit going through the coconut layer, hoping it works out similar to your method, i just dont have ideal pots to try it your way. also have holes cut in the side of the pots to increase airflow and hopefully keep things just damp. didnt bother with the coconut for the mature alpina as its seeming to like it wetter than the others. put everything in larger pots hoping that ill have better luck with the picky ones as conditions should be more stable. besides the alpina and hybrid are growing like weeds
smile_n_32.gif

BTW see what i mean with the novea-zealandiea

All you potting set-ups should work. I go a little "extreme" with my plants but there are other methods that are not as complicated and they all work fine. I know because I used most of them getting to where I am now.

The jamesoniana is pretty robust and could probably take it without the second pot if you were so inclined. My main "do not touch under penalty of death" plant I have potted my "technical" way and it is fairly dry but my other plant (my propogator) is in a plain old 2" tall-style pot with a media of peat/sand and sits in a constant 2-3cm of water. Grows just as well as the other though it is a bit "softer". But if that way is working for you then I'd say don't bother changing it. Why fix what isn't broke??

havent had it long enough to fix anything
smile_n_32.gif
its been sitting in the pot in a plastic bag since it arrived but i was getting to the point of having pots in bags sitting all over (notice the alpina seedlings are still in a bag as is my lil hamata and a couple other nep cuttings) since i have a tank specifically for them the geminiloba and jamesoniana came out of their bags as did the lil aristo since it was outgrowing its bag..........havent found out how they are going to react to my basement yet

also after careful examination of that D. falconerii i have to say i think it was tweaking out because of humidity, it loves the open tray, its kin are going nuts in the enclosed warm tank but the falconerii seems to want to be out in the harsher enviroment, go figure, i though petolaris and paradoxa were the hardy ones, not falconerii
confused.gif

Nice setup. The plants look very happy!

That is a strange angle on your U. novae-zelandiae flower. Some consider U. novae-zelandiae, U. monanthos, and U. dichotoma to be synonyms. Taylor lists them as separate species, but states the plants are rather similar.

IIRC the main differences between them listed in Taylors is the height of the flower stalk.

the wierd angle was on purpose, was taken to show Pyro the curl which seems to be an odd quirk of this clone

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Oct. 23 2006,11:36)]havent found out how they are going to react to my basement yet
Odds are they will adapt fine. My crawlspace is not super humid so they are pretty used to a lower humidity environment. I'd guess you basement gets simiular temps to my crawlspace as well so there really won't be much of a change for them. These guys really are troopers for those who figure them out and given your success with the others I have no doubt you'll do fine

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]the falconerii seems to want to be out in the harsher enviroment, go figure, i though petolaris and paradoxa were the hardy ones, not falconerii
confused.gif

This falconeri clone has always been pretty robust for me. Used to grow a couple of them in my sunroom during the summer, had a paradoxa in there too and even let it overwinter in there. While I don't have those original falconeri (traded them off) I have others with the same origin and they all act about the same.

And paradoxa are bombproof. My oldest is the same one I had in the sunroom. In the 5 years I have had it I have grown it in at least 10 different media mixes. It has been in the sunroom, the crawlspace, a windowsill, outside and 4 different terrariums. It just keeps growing and growing. Nothing phases it. The only odd thing about it is that in all those years it has not once divided.

Back