What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to VFT-ing?

There is a chance the seeds will just sit there and wait for the cool period. And there is a chance (as not a number stated) that they will (or some will) go ahead and grow. It's a gamble. If you are going to grow inside under lights, it doesn't matter what outside the season actually is (since you will control photo period and temps). If you want to grow them outside, then sure, it could matter and may pay off to go ahead and treat them as if they already had dormancy. If some grow and some down, the others may sprout next spring after the cold period.

well as you can see im gonna keep my junk-in-a-box inside, probly in my room, so it will get sun light, what would you do

Well, if I had seeds to grow of Venus flytrap, and I got them today. I probably would go ahead and stratify them, but plan on controlling their grow environment by having them inside where I can keep them warm over winter, and keep them on artificial light so I could give them longer photo period. Give them an extended growing season (through next year) and put them dormant at the "normal" time.

Otherwise, I would have put them in the fridge DRY for storage... And potted them up as winter comes for the normal stratification period so they can sprout on their own come spring.

It's already the end of July, the plants typically go dormant around Thanksgiving (depending on your location, mine stay awake longer than that). If they sprouted now and put on natural sun/temps (as the window will likely be close to what outside is) the plants are likely not to make it to next year IMHO.

im not going to be making a buisness out of it or anything, its just something to do over the summer up here in vermont. The winters are really cold, so they will probly go dormant by next week. (joking) But I think im just gonna leave them on my desk, and see if they bloom.

Well, I wish you luck!! Let me know if you decide to get a plant, I'll hook you up with some free starter plants and some easy seeds (that should sprout within a few days to a few weeks) with your order, and it will give you something to do/watch while waiting for the Venus flytraps. Feel free to PM me if you're interested and we can talk about what I mean. :)
Andrew

yea ill think about it. Do you just grow vft s or do u do pitchers nad stuff too

yea i got a couple maintance questions.

1. How often do you have to water it, at the point im at, everyday?

2. Can you just catch some flies and put them in the dome for the FT's to eat when ever?

3. Ill think of it...

I keep the majority of my plants in tubs (including vfts). And I put some water in the tray and water again once the water has dried for a day or 2. You want the media to stay moist, but not constantly soaked. The plants don't "need" to eat. So really, putting flies in there would be more of something to watch than something that has to be done. And your plants from seed won't be big enough to eat flies for a few years.

so buying the set was a waste is wat ur saying?

I'm saying growing Venus flytraps from seed takes a looooooong time. It can be cool to watch them grow up though! If you're lucky enough to get fresh seed that sprouts. It seems a lot of those kits come with old seed that doesn't even sprout. Probably for a price very similar to what you spent, you could get a potted, live, full grown, healthy Venus flytrap. Grown VFTs are likely to be more forgiving to beginner errors also.

yea i think i payed $16 for this kid, and they had small VFT's for like 8, but 1/2 of them per pot were already dead

About $15.99 (shipped) would get you a dual potted VFT from my store. Then you could pick from the 3 forms of Venus flytrap I carry for it. Then of course the other stuff I said I'd add :) Here is an example of my dual potted plants...

p1010025.JPG

That is an 'Akai Ryu' and 'Dentate traps' These plants were just coming out of dormancy so they're actually bigger now.

By all means there is no reason to toss your project. Just be sure to give it PLENTY of time to do its thing.

thats a really nice one, how long does it take from seed to that point?

Thanks :) I really need to update some of those pictures haha

2-5 years I think. I honestly don't know for sure though.

so i wont have traps or anything by the end of the summer?

It will grow traps once it sprouts.. but they will be TINY. Know those annoying gnats that fly around and bother you? one of those MAY fit in the trap. That's how small.

Looking at Peter D'Amato's Carnivorous plant book it looks like that a 2 year old Venus Flytrap is barely the size of a dime. Take in mind this is the ENTIRE plant, one trap is obviously much, much smaller.

Yes, buy from Andrew.

Yea i think im going to give the set up to my little brother, and go buy a already growing plant.

I made the following offer to possom via PM and he declined. So, I'm going to offer this to the first 2 people to place the order... (obviously this is a newbie package...) You may PM me to make sure the offer is still available before placing your order if you'd like :)

1) You pay for a dual potted plant and I will add for free, 2 bare root D. capensis 1 bare root D. adelae and a package of D. capensis seed. (add a 3 1/4" pot/media and you can plant the D. capensis and D. adelae in there or use your own media *except all the D. capensis seeds will need somewhere to go*)

2) You pay for a single potted plant and I will add for free 1 bare root D. capensis and a pack of D. capensis seed. (this would fit in one of my 2 1/4" pot packages or use your own pot and media *except all the D. capensis seeds will need somewhere to go*)

-Andrew

Last edited:
Back