What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New TerraForums software! Report issues and all that here.

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Good morning everyone and thanks for your patients while I upgraded the forum to this new software yesterday and worked to perfect the settings. Surely there is something I've allowed that I shouldn't have or things I've not allowed that I should have. Please point any of these things out. I'm using the default look for now so that there is one less thing to deal with but I do have a plan.
If anyone is willing to do a couple graphic projects for me, please let me know. :)
Thanks again, and I'm excited to start this new adventure with you all! This should give us enough time to get used to the new software before the NASC auction this spring! :cool:
Andrew

Very cool Andrew! So far so good - and looking nice! I'll poke around a bit more - the 'conversation' feel of the messaging is interesting and makes me realize I should do a bit of 'messaging maintenance'. I'll let you know how it goes.

Wish I had some graphics skills to contribute.

I may not be caffeinated enough, but I don't see a way to delete private messages. After selecting a message/conversation, and clicking the 'selected' menu, an additional action menu appears at the bottom of the screen, but 'delete selected' doesn't seem to be an option?

No chatbox?
Looks like I still have Create Poll which is good (y)
Going to try to upload a quick vlog later today again so I'll see how media embeds do.

Sent you a PM to test, I think "leave conversation" may be delete?

Also, I think some people were getting warnings from their browsers that the old software wasn't secure since images were not being handled through the SSL, please let me know if this is still happening.

No chatbox?
Looks like I still have Create Poll which is good (y)
Going to try to upload a quick vlog later today again so I'll see how media embeds do.

I missed the chatbox sale. :( (I mean seriously, who says a sale ends on a certain day at a certain time and that time is 12am? I thought I had through that day to buy it...) I was thinking of holding off and seeing if he has another sale for St. Patrick's day. Maybe it being gone a while will renew it's awesomeness! lol Everyone can do polls now, I see no way to limit it to certain people. So hopefully that doesn't become an issue. It's a permission based on the forum, so I only have it on for general and Nepenthes for your polls. :)

So this is a provider you have never utilized before? Then, quite frankly, I make a polite complaint of dissatisfaction if you haven't already done so. Let the provider know that you were unaware of the deadline and disappointed that you won't be able to add this feature. If the provider has anything in the way of a brain, they will offer the chat at the sale price "just this once" rather than start off on the wrong foot with a new customer not to mention losing out on a possible sale. (And if they repy "Well it is still available at the regular price," just say that that is not within you budget which is why you are so disappointed.)

So this is a provider you have never utilized before? Then, quite frankly, I make a polite complaint of dissatisfaction if you haven't already done so. Let the provider know that you were unaware of the deadline and disappointed that you won't be able to add this feature. If the provider has anything in the way of a brain, they will offer the chat at the sale price "just this once" rather than start off on the wrong foot with a new customer not to mention losing out on a possible sale. (And if they repy "Well it is still available at the regular price," just say that that is not within you budget which is why you are so disappointed.)
I actually have purchased a number of things from him before, but don't think I've ever caught a sale before. I did write and let him know it was a bit confusing and suggested that he ended sales at 11:59pm of the day, rather than at the turn of the next day. He didn't respond but maybe he'll take it into consideration. In the last forum I was running 9 total addons if I remember correctly, 4 of which were paid mods.

@adnedarn - I confirmed that 'Leave' conversation will delete that convo from your messages list. When you are in a message, and select the 'leave' option, you'll get a pop-up box like so:

1613939041250.png

I left the selection as 'Accept future messages' and hit 'Leave' - and I no longer have that conversation in my messages list. This does suggest that you might have to open each conversation to delete it individually (rather than selecting multiple threads and doing it at once). I'll have to do a lot more messaging before that actually becomes burdensome. :)

Just wondering, is the icon for the tab the google translate icon for anybody else?

Just wondering, is the icon for the tab the google translate icon for anybody else?
You talking about the tab in your browser? I see nothing, but you're right- I forgot to include the icon in the new directory. I just added it, should take no longer than 24hrs to update. Please let me know if it still doesn't show up.
Thanks @sangrocks101 !

So far I like it! I have had a strange glitch where I get logged off when I hit the 'home' button on the top of the page but it hasn't been consistent enough for me to tell you anything else. Might just be something incompatible with my browser. I do like the improved look for photos - they are larger on my screen and seem to have more resolution (?) I also like the photo galleries for the individual forums. I think adding one for the General forum would be a good idea. 'Just my two bits worth.

So far I like it! I have had a strange glitch where I get logged off when I hit the 'home' button on the top of the page but it hasn't been consistent enough for me to tell you anything else. Might just be something incompatible with my browser. I do like the improved look for photos - they are larger on my screen and seem to have more resolution (?) I also like the photo galleries for the individual forums. I think adding one for the General forum would be a good idea. 'Just my two bits worth.
Hmmm, you may need to clear cookies for terraforums since it's different software at the same url. Might get away with logging in, then logging put on purpose then log back in. Make sure you're clicking remember me or stay logged in (I forget what it says) to make sure you're not just getting trimmed out.

I'll let you know when I figure out when it actually kicks me out. 'Seems kinda random right now. Maybe I just need to tweak something at my end. But I have a request. Is it possible to return the Views counts to a full number after 1000 rather than just showing "1k"? I use the count to see how many people have looked at my posts. Maybe there are others who do the same? I'm always amazed at how many people visit here and look but don't leave a trace otherwise.

I'll let you know when I figure out when it actually kicks me out. 'Seems kinda random right now. Maybe I just need to tweak something at my end. But I have a request. Is it possible to return the Views counts to a full number after 1000 rather than just showing "1k"? I use the count to see how many people have looked at my posts. Maybe there are others who do the same? I'm always amazed at how many people visit here and look but don't leave a trace otherwise.
Yeah, we get a lot of guests here. That setting is likely part of the style and not the core forum. I gave a quick look and didn't see a setting to change it but since I'm planning on changing the style anyway I'm not going to put too much time into it. If the new style is the same we'll see about figuring it out. Great catch!

It was pointed out the post limit was 10k words. I have increased it to 55k as it was in the last software.

Yeah, we get a lot of guests here. That setting is likely part of the style and not the core forum. I gave a quick look and didn't see a setting to change it but since I'm planning on changing the style anyway I'm not going to put too much time into it. If the new style is the same we'll see about figuring it out. Great catch!
Thanks, Andrew!

I have noticed that there is not the option to revise/edit posts that have been made. While I can see some arguably good reasons for this, for me it has made it impossible to correct mistakes made once I have hit the "post reply" button. I think I prefer the old rules better. I am possibly more prone to posting mistakes than others.

I do like the way the new system handles photos, allowing them to be seen immediately once they are entered into the thread posting box.

I have noticed that there is not the option to revise/edit posts that have been made. While I can see some arguably good reasons for this, for me it has made it impossible to correct mistakes made once I have hit the "post reply" button. I think I prefer the old rules better. I am possibly more prone to posting mistakes than others.

I do like the way the new system handles photos, allowing them to be seen immediately once they are entered into the thread posting box.
The "..." is a dropdown menu for your post. Hope it helps. 👍
Screenshot_20210303-161452_Chrome.jpg

Yeah, editing should be available, if not... it's not intended. Please let me know if Gadzooks's suggestion doesn't help and I'll dig into the settings. This software has tons more options than any I've used before so lots to get used to back there!!
Andrew

Back