What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New plant Sarracenia purpurea subsp. venosa var. burkii "chipola"

I just received a Sarracenia purpurea subsp. venosa {var. chipola}?
I am wondering if chipola is a variety, or is it a location like hurricane creek?
Anyways, the Sarracenia purpurea is a nice red/yellow color, with nice veining.
I am experimenting with companion plants, so I planted a cinnamon fern (osmunda cinnamomea)
Tell me what you guys think.
Here are some pictures, click to enlarge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shes a beauty whatever she is:).

Neat. I've never heard of this variety. I think that once the plant starts growing, and the ferns do, the pot will look marvelous. :awesome:

It's not a recognized plant name in any of the plant name databases. The only reference I can find is in Peter D'Amato's cultivar description for S. 'Judith Hindle'. The notes in the Omnisterra CP database note that "chipola" is not an epithet. Most likely it refers to a location such as the Chipola River.

I suggest you contact Peter D'Amato or Alan Hindle.

http://www.omnisterra.com/bot/cp_home.cgi?name=chipola&submit=&search=all
"This selection resulted from crossing [[[Sarracenia leucophylla {Raf.}] * [Sarracenia flava var. rugelii {(Shuttlew. ex A.DC.) Mast.}]] * [Sarracenia purpurea {L.}]] "chipola" (this suffix refers to the last mentioned species but is not a cultivar epithet!). (...) In [Sarracenia ' Judith Hindle ' {D'Amato}], the young trumpets are green, laced with yellow, with a green and white ruffled hood. They soon darken to deep plum red with white, yellow and green mottling in the hood. The paler coloration turns pink as the pitcher ages."

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v22n1p38.html#Judith

IIRC Chipola refers to it's location, likely making this plant an S. purpurea subsp. venosa var. burkii from Chipola seeing as it's from FL. No official Chipola variety of any Sarracenia exists or has been described.

wow! The plants from the Cpuk are amazing! I noticed that the plant in the second photo has a pink flower... Could it be a form of S. rosea? Or possibly a hybrid between S. rosea and S. purpurea subsp. venosa? Just a thought.

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

IIRC Chipola refers to it's location, likely making this plant an S. purpurea subsp. venosa var. burkii from Chipola seeing as it's from FL. No official Chipola variety of any Sarracenia exists or has been described.

ahh I see now...

:drool: Love it!! Sarracenia purpurea subsp. venosa [var. "Chipola"]? originates from the Chipola River in Florida. There is also a GIANT form!! http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33665

Now someone tells me:grin:
I am receiving a very nice clone of Sarracenia flava var. rubricorpora and I was planning to cross the two and make some Sarracenia x catesbaei
Anyone willing to give me a division of the giant form, I'll give them have the seeds from the cross. :poke:

I would trade anything but my Heliamphora on my growlist for one. Even for seed i would trade a Nepenthes for seed alone!

I guess Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa var. 'Chipola' would be incorrect. It should be: Sarracenia purpurea subsp. venosa var. burkii "Chipola River, FL." Since Chipola is a location rather than a variation.

Good luck on the Sarracenia x catesbaei !! One of my favorites!

Now someone tells me:grin:
I am receiving a very nice clone of Sarracenia flava var. rubricorpora and I was planning to cross the two and make some Sarracenia x catesbaei
Anyone willing to give me a division of the giant form, I'll give them have the seeds from the cross. :poke:

Ooh, that would make a great cross :0o: Do post pics of the S. flava var. rubricorpora, I'd love to see how the color from the S. flava parent affects that of their "offspring" :D

oops.. double post by mistake.

Ooh, that would make a great cross :0o: Do post pics of the S. flava var. rubricorpora, I'd love to see how the color from the S. flava parent affects that of their "offspring" :D

Here is a picture of the plant I'm getting a division of, should be here in a day or two.
700rubri1re.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

If anyone sends me a division of S. purpurea subsp. venosa "chipola giant"(Pictured here)
I'll cross it with the plant above and send them half the seeds.

I can't wait until the Sarracenia flava var. rubricorpora is here!!!
:D

My plant form last years flowers:
DSC_00120001_3.jpg

DSC_00100001_1.jpg

:0o:

Pink Sarracenia flowers? I have never heard of that :0o: I want one i hope yours flowers pink flowers i would love to see it and to get my hand on some SEED :mwahaha: If it flowers.

Pink flowers are typical of S. purpurea subsp. venosa var burkii. I believe that's why some want to assign the species epithet "rosea".

Notes from Barry Rice's FAQ on Sarracenia rosea (as Barry Rice accepts the new name):

2)Sarracenia rosea is the only Sarracenia with pink petals (except for some hybrids). The petals of S. purpurea are brick red to purplish red.
Note also:
Sarracenia rosea plants from the Chipola (Florida) area are particularly cute, and often have fat little pot bellies.
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5542.html

Back