What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New nep's today!

So just out of nowhere "been having a itching feeling to get some more nep's for a few days now" I decided to go to the Oregon orchid society spring show 2008 here in Portland. Low and behold there are some new ones I don't have yet there. So anyway I picked up a Mira, Tobaica, and Miranda. Here are some photo's.

Mira
Mmira2.jpg

Nmira.jpg

Miranda
Nmiranda.jpg

Nmiranda2.jpg

Tobaica
Ntobaica.jpg

Ntobaica2.jpg

Hope you like them.

Josh

very nice looking neps. good choice as well. :) They are tough and grow very fast in comparison to most species. My mira is smaller than yours but it still grows pretty fast in comparison to my talangensis & rajah obviously. ;)

ive had my mira for 10 months and it hasnt increased in diameter at all. pitchers are bigger but thats about all. iv giving less light now because it dosent seem to like a lot of light and made ugly red tints to the leaves. more of an orange that a red really. and its growing slow for me. but its a hardy grower pitchering in 20-40% humidity! haha!

great looking plants!

Alex

Strange! I had my mira only since october. its already like 1.5 times the size and its growing a bit more every leaf. It grows really fast as well. I guess this is one of those neps which needs higher humidity to do well...and yeah! my lighting is pretty bad.. I am getting a new light soon...but so far...no burning at all.

I am convinced my Mira hates me... It is my worst looking Nep ever, and has hardly grown at all since I received it almost 7 months ago (it's literally like under 2" diameter - I hate TC sometimes).

Nice new plants though Blazed =). They look very healthy. Looks like you scored :). How much were they altogether? Thanks for sharing.

Daniel

I don't think its fair to blame TC. Especially this plant. My plant is a clone from BE as well. However, its from a local friend who grows it in real hardy conditions. SO it didn't skip a beat since I got it.

So keep hanging at it....it depends on how the grower from whom u recieved it was growing it. Let it acclaimatise to your conditions.

2373214650_c6ae8583b3.jpg

2372442177_e2f182c9b2.jpg

The plant dropped all its pitchers and leaves soon after it came. Well...leaves were dropped a lot slowly...i.e., just as a new leaf formed the old was gone. But its pretty steadily gaining size. I got it in october around 1.5 inches I guess....now its a little over 3.

cheers,

V

Cool i went to the oregon orchid society show today also it was really cool, i got a n. mikei i will post osme pics tommorow.... but congrats about your new neps

-Ryan

EDIT: wow...I posted that in the wrong thread. Lol???

Thanks guys! I wish I would have brought my camera to the show, but you know how that goes. I'm not sure if these plants are from TC or cuttings. There was a 6 year old truncata there that was huge. Altogether the plants were 44$, 14-16-14 if I remember right. There were some other bigger plants there but I like the small ones so I can watch them grow.
V your Mira looks good nice color to the pitchers, its a small size plant no?

GG
Josh

Yeah he had a couple big plants there showing off lol... although i was sad that not laot of people were interested in the actual carniverous plants plants :-(... i meen comer on the coolest thing at an orchid show is the carniverous plants ???

thanks Josh! yeah! its like 3 inches in diameter. So its still a small sized plant. I got it as a gift at 1.5 - 2 inches size. Maybe, the thing slows after it reaches a certain size...I am not sure...but for now...mine is growing. :)

thanks Josh! yeah! its like 3 inches in diameter. So its still a small sized plant. I got it as a gift at 1.5 - 2 inches size. Maybe, the thing slows after it reaches a certain size...I am not sure...but for now...mine is growing. :)

Keep us updated on your awsome plants :boogie: It is doing well

:-D

-Ryan

lol! thanks dude! :)

I can almost 100% guarantee you that those nepenthes are acclimated to lower humidity and full sunlight don't bother putting them into a terrarium unless you don't have windows.
the particular vendor you bought them from is not very fond of terrariums.

Yeah the vendor at the OOS said that he grows him in his west facing window so i would reccomend the same... ort slowly acclimate them to a terrarrium if you REALLY want to.

I grow mine on my south, including N. truncata Highland N. spectabilis and a N. gothica but I had to acclimate it to my window since I did not get it from where you bought your nepenthes today, if they are already acclimated take advantage of it and grow them as windowsill plants.
:woot: yay for windowsill plants!!

Yes it makes them much nicer to grow... PARTY TIME :rookwoot: :woot: :beer:

Yes it makes them much nicer to grow... PARTY TIME :rookwoot: :woot: :beer:

yes I agree its so much cooler to have nepenthes on my window instead of in a terrarium, I am going to add flourescent lighting for winter and when the daylight levels get lower I will increase the photoperiod and it will reach it's peak when its the winter equinox hmm perhaps 20 hours.

I can almost 100% guarantee you that those nepenthes are acclimated to lower humidity and full sunlight don't bother putting them into a terrarium unless you don't have windows.
the particular vendor you bought them from is not very fond of terrariums.

not quite...they may not be fond of terrariums...but they grow their stock inside greenhouses...which have high humidity and obscured light. seveal plants i got from them took a nose dive when i thought they were all OK with lower humidity. you dont expect to get a rajah or lowii from them and it be fully adjusted to low humidity do you?

Alex

Back