What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New nepenthes not looking top notch

Hello everybody! I recently reviewed three nepenthes from a friend. While I'm not a complete amateur, it's been years since I've had one in my care. While two out of the three nepenthes look great, one has me a little worried. It has a few browning leaves, and the rest are dried. Additionally, the pitcher that came on it has shriveled up. None of this is happening with the other plants. Could it be pests? If it helps, the plant in question is a nepenthes fusca. The two that are growing great are nepenthes boschiana and nepenthes burbidgeae x campanulata. I will post pictures shortly. Thanks in advance!

Photos are great. But describing in detail how you've cared for them (and their current growing conditions) is far more helpful.

It could just be the plant acclimating to a new environment, although if the new growth is also dried there's probably an issue. Like said, a thorough description of how you're growing it is needed.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the quick responses. All plants are in a 1:1 lfs and perlite mix, and are watered with distilled water. All three are in a sw facing window where they receive an hour or two of direct sun and a lot of indirect sun. I also mist them twice a day. Daytime Temps are around 75-80, and drop to 75-70 at night. The below photo is the n fusca. Mobile Uploads by D-w-8-5 | Photobucket

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the quick responses. All plants are in a 1:1 lfs and perlite mix, and are watered with distilled water. All three are in a sw facing window where they receive an hour or two of direct sun and a lot of indirect sun. I also mist them twice a day. Daytime Temps are around 75-80, and drop to 75-70 at night. The below photo is the n fusca. Mobile Uploads by D-w-8-5 | Photobucket

In other words, you've acquired these plants in the past 6 weeks and placed them directly on the windowsill where they are exposed to direct sun for part of the day, in typical household dry air conditions, yes? If they arrived bare-root (I assume they did, since you mentioned your potting mix) and you did not give them an acclimation period by bagging them for at least 4 weeks before moving them to the windowsill, then you are desiccating the plants while they are struggling to make new roots. That is one very stressed looking plant, my friend.

Solution: no direct sun exposure for the next 8 weeks at least, and provide consistent humidity. Misting the plant with water provides a humidity boost for about 15 - 20 minutes at most, which has almost no effect on the plants. They may eventually adjust to the low humidity of your home, but they don't stand much of a chance if they don't get roots established.

PS: 70-75F at night is far too warm for Nepenthes fusca. N. boschiana might tolerate it, as might the campanulata hybrid, but you should be providing a temperature differential greater than ten degrees between night and day for long term health.

Getting the temperature down to 60-65F every night for those plants would be ideal.

Thank you so much! I didn't realize I was mangling these plants so badly. Hopefully it's not too late for them. Would putting the plants in an old aquarium provide the boost in humidity that they need? Should I quit misting all together? I have another area in the house I'm which the temperature swings are a bit more extreme (80-65ish) would that be better for these plants? Once again, thank you so much for your help.

Last edited:
if this was my plant, I would dunk it - leaves and all - into water for a day and let it perk up
then keep it humid as suggested above

Back