What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New job rearranging my life!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
This new job requires extensive travelling, like 6 weeks at a shot, with a week at home. I was flown to Tucson, Arizona for a week of safety training. The hotel in which we stayed, didn't have a lobby pc and I don't have one of my own. so I lost contact with the rest of the world, other than calling my wife.

The other effect that this job has is that there is no way I can take care of the plants. So I turned the care to the downstairs tenant and am hoping for the best.

I hope, one day, to work for this company locally, but that is just a thought for now.

This company will also provide laptops, so sometime down the road, I'll be able to chill out and play on TF. But for now, this is a necessary disruption in life.

Well that's not good Jim.Since you wont be at home much,I'll hold off on sending the plants.Good luck with your job!

Jerry

good luck with the new job you will definatly be missed here and at home. i look forward to the little time you have to chat. let us know how it goes!
smile_m_32.gif
ttys crystal

GL Jim I'm sure things will settle down.

Zac

I'm sorry to hear about your current lack of free time Jim, but I'm sure things will get better soon. Congratulations on the new job and I hope things go well for you in the future.

Keep in touch Jim. Even if it's just a quick post to say hi to us
laugh.gif

Best of luck to you, Jim. Hopefully you can get a laptop soon. More and more hotels are starting to have internet connections in their rooms, so at least some of the time, you may be able to connect to the internet (hopefully without one of those ridiculous per-minute charges!)

Scott,
Hopefully local work will come to you ASAP.

Man... hope it turns out well for you.
Reminds me of living in a monastery for 4 years lol.

Glad we hooked up when we did, and make sure to get as many resumees as you can out locally in your off weeks Bro, yer plants need ya (as does yer family) so just enjoy it as best you can for as long as it's necessary (the novelty should last for a few weeks at least) and I am sure it'll work out swell for you, take care!!

Wow. That's tough. Its good you have a job but maybe you can find something that is more local. Six weeks is a long time to be away from your family.
smile_h_32.gif
I hope your downstairs tenant gets bitten by the CP bug...then he'll take good care of your plants AND want some of his own.

Best wishes...I hope it all works out for you.

good luck Jim, I hope it all works out well for you, I also hope and your neighbour takes good care of those plants.
smile_m_32.gif

Jim,

Have fun and take care at your new job--I hope you'll eventually be placed in a local position. You're a valued member of this forum and we can't wait to have you back full-time!
smile.gif

I thank you for all the well wishes! I under-estimated just what this job would turn out to be. It thought I was going to be gone for a week of Hazwoper training and them sent home until they came up with some sort of schedule. Instead, we were flown to Ontario, California and then to Burbank, CA. It is basically 6 weeks on the road and 1 week home. I was tolerating the concept of extensive travel, so I could procure health coverage and income, so long as I could handle the job itself. It soon became apparent that the work entailed a lot of mechanical prowess, that I just didn't have. I could see that I was the slowest on the uptake of all 7 of us trainees and was set up for failure. So I quit. The trainer did state that they had a 40 % retention rate, and I could see why. This was not for me. I was "a fish out of water".

I have sent out 5 resumes, to various CareerBuilder.com posts and am looking into other options, like Home Depot, Lowes, Petsmart, the lab that turned me down,.... I did receive a call yesterday from a local Home Depot for a Service Desk position and have been trying to make connections the H.R. gal about it. It isn't much, but it's something. At least they provide part-timers health coverage.

A guy at our church, whose family runs a greenhouse, said he can offer me a p/t job in April.

So we'll see what happens.

Good to hear from you again Jim and I'm sorry about your job complications. I hope it all clears up soon.

Isn't that odd, as soon as someone posts a thread wondering where Jimscott was and hoping he would be back soon, BAM!!

I am glad you were able to assess the situation so qiuckly Bro, more time to get into what you're REALLY going to be doing for the next phase (and I bet your plants breathe an audible sigh of re LEAF when the death sentence was withdrawn)

Maybe you could shoot for a job at the border, maybe doing customs inspections on plants??? ;)

Good to have you back and I'm reallyglad that you are in the market for more "liveable" options, I could feel your apprehension about this venture when we met and am glad that the dark cloud of isolation from all you hold dear was eliminated before any real problems arose... give me a call if the mood strikes!!

Sort of sorry the job didn't work out, but am more glad that your back on the forums with us. As has been said before, they weren't quite the same without you. Hope you have success in finding a job more suitable for your abilities. I'm with you on the mechanicle stuff. If you want a machine to work, then don't make me fix it
smile_n_32.gif

Hey i dont get a lot but i tinks is bad... so i just hope all go good, always u feel someting bad, pray!, and befor anyting remember always u plants and fish will be w u in u mind.. same u famyly, well i just hope u r fine.

Aww I reckon he was missing us as much as we were missing him, that's why he's back so soon.
biggrin.gif

Jim, I'm sure something more suitable will come along and you will be glad things turned out this way.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mabudon @ Jan. 30 2006,11:49)]Good to have you back and I'm reallyglad that you are in the market for more "liveable" options, I could feel your apprehension about this venture when we met and am glad that the dark cloud of isolation from all you hold dear was eliminated before any real problems arose... give me a call if the mood strikes!!
You sensed my apprehension?! Wow, I'm impressed!

At the moment, I have another job interview with the same juice distributer that interviewed me (and chose another), for another lab tech position. The commute is an hour and is through a temp agenct (contract-to-hire).  
confused.gif

Home Depot is interested in me for the Service Desk. It is only part time, but has health coverage.

A guy from our church who owns a nursery can offer me a p/t job, come April.

Carl, say hello to the donut shop manager for me. I'm also looking forward to hearing your impression of 'Yoda' again!

Back