What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New forum Look

• Thread starter Finch
  • Start date
the EDIT button is on all posts...but you can only edit yur own. it ges annoying. i agree with JLAP on the first page. we need a whole selection of skins like on the CPUK forum. over all its ok. it needs some getting used to and then some tweaks...
Alex

It looks like this forum software isn't really used much by the general public. There aren't skins because no one has really cared enough to make any for it. phpBB is probably the public favorite... there're huge libraries of skins and mods for it. That's what CPUK is built with.

If Terraforums uses a MySQL database and you guys were feeling really brave, we could attempt to convert it to phpBB.
smile.gif
Without touching the existing forum until the new one was totally functional of course (built in parallel).

Right now I'm updating a dummy forum to slowly apply the new skin. It won't totally look like Terraforums because a lot of the modifications to it have nothing to do with the skin, but it's getting there. Unfortunately the base skin from 3.1.2a doesn't look quite like the old forum... it must have been modified after the installation.

http://ikonboard.machineedge.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi

<div>
(nepenthes_ak @ Dec. 30 2006,2:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Purple guy should be a smiley! on the list,

boogie.gif
<--- boogie!</div>
Done, 2 spots left!!

This dude should definitely be there.

pics.gif

-Ben

The old color scheme can be determined with help from The Wayback Machine if you have trouble finding the old skin/scheme. The old skin is probably not compatible with this version.

The Ikonboard development pack maybe simplifies the task of modifying a skin.

<div>
(Not a Number @ Dec. 30 2006,4:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The old color scheme can be determined with help from The Wayback Machine if you have trouble finding the old skin/scheme. The old skin is probably not compatible with this version.

The Ikonboard development pack maybe simplifies the task of modifying a skin.</div>
That is the tool we will be using to re-create the skin.

yay I love these smilies!
boogie.gif

I also love the new setup!
boogie.gif

Oo.gif

should be on the list too we have a happy shocked we need a stunned shocked now...

<div>
(nepenthes_ak @ Dec. 30 2006,10:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
Oo.gif

should be on the list too we have a happy shocked we need a stunned shocked now...</div>
Sounds good to me.

Wow! Big change! I have been experiencing a couple of problems but they were fixed. I see that you guys (Andrew and endparenthesis) are working real hard, so let me just say, “Thank you!”

Also, if the old skin is brought back, will the little cyclopes face still be available to post at the top of one’s post? >That one was my favorite…
sad.gif

You know.. I have never ever ever ever used those post icons in my life. And never noticed others did either till they were not available
tounge.gif

Wow, I go out of town for a few days and everything changes! I like the fact that TF is updating; but, here are a few comments from me:

I don't like how the edit button is on every post, even posts that I did not author (someone already mentioned this).

I don't like that I don't have an avatar, yet on the new forum I have a blank light blue box... It makes me look strange, imo.

I like how I can see who is in each individual forum when I go to a specific forum. I really like that.

I don't like the new "quote" look. The box is huge and overpowering. <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">OMG! I'm a huge fake quote!</div>

Thanks for working on a skin, I think that will be neat to have the functionality of a new board, with the look of the old board. When I first joined TF I sort of laughed at the primitive and "old school" nature of the forum, but it is something I came to appreciate and felt comforted by. I didn't realize this was because the board was actually old and out of date!

xvart.

P.S. It's good to be back! I missed everyone!

Thanks xvart- I'm doing what I can
tounge.gif
As far as your avatar, you should be able to go into your control panel, and delete all avatars.... (Or, you could just get one that fits you
smile.gif
) Lemme know if you need more help with that...

For those of you that want SOME of the old look back... You shold have it because these buttons have been restored.

No New Posts
New Cat Posts
No New Cat Posts
New Rest. Posts
No New Rest. Posts
Read Only

If you liked the new disk looking ikonboard things, go into your control panel, then go to account options, then pick skin "standard ikonboard skin" and that will give back what you had yesterday. I'm working on skin "old" so DO NOT USE IT as it will be changing alot and for most of that time will probably not be plesant to look at. I'll let you all know when it's ready for use.
Andrew

Andrew - Thanks for the quick responses and updates. I tried to do what you said about the avatar, but I still have that box. I'm not too worried about it, it's starting to upset me enough that I am trying to think about what a cool avatar would be!

I have noticed some changes coming and going, like the pm, email buttons at the bottom and the lightbulbs coming and going. It's exciting! Keep up the good work.

xvart.

Yes very exciting. I like being in the front seat to watch things change... i might have to switch to 'old' right this very instant!

My feelings are neutral to the changes, except for the new blue background color for the topics and posts which makes the text (which is black or also blue) more difficult for me to read. A white background is plain but makes most text colors easy to read.

I am getting used to the new look and I like most of the new bells and whistles. I was disappointed when I couldn't edit xvart's post to read something like: "49 20 64 6f 6e 27 74 20 6c 69 6b 65 20 68 6f 77 20 74 68 65 20 65 64 69 74 20 62 75 74 74 6f 6e 20 69 73 20 6f 6e 20 65 76 65 72 79 20 70 6f 73 74 2c 20 65 76 65 6e 20 70 6f 73 74 73 20 74 68 61 74 20 49 20 64 69 64 20 6e 6f 74 20 61 75 74 68 6f 72 20 28 73 6f 6d 65 6f 6e 65 20 61 6c 72 65 61 64 79 20 6d 65 6e 74 69 6f 6e 65 64 20 74 68 69 73 29 2e " , but I'll eventually get over it.
poke2.gif

hahahah hey BCK you wanna be a mod with the only job of giving xvart a hard time? LOL
crazy.gif

Andrew did you mean the one that says "oldtf"? I tried that and got my old familiar light bulb icon.
I still like the old skin better!
Peter.

Use oldtf for now... all that it has that is like the old ones are the light bulbs. I'm working on "old" trying to get the colors and everything back... so YES use OLDTF not old I've set as board default... so it should be the one you're using already... If you can't see the bulbs.... hold CTRL press R.
Andrew

Back