What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Titanic Tyrant

• Thread starter Jhunt
  • Start date
It looks like you transplanted it to a different media, is it considerably drier than it was before?
It's actually most moist than it was before. The Akadama was drying out super fast as the plant was sucking it dry. So I decided to use this to also give the roots more airflow.

I inspected the roots of the plant and I believe I found the cause of the truncata stalling growth.

The root mass isn't big enough to support the plant in the new growing media I transplanted it into. When it was growing in the Akadama within the 5 inch pot I was watering it everyday to keep it hydrated. This more than likely offset the issue of the small root mass.

The plant is currently 22+ inches across while the root ball is only 2 to 3 inches across.

When I transplanted the truncata into the new coco chucks the plant stopped getting that extra moisture. While the new media held more moisture it also drained faster than the Akadama mix. The media at the bottom of the pot held most of the moisture while the chucks near the tops was dryer near the roots. This is likely due to being to airy or porous.

I believe the coco chunks might have worked for plants with more established roots.

I have reported the plant into a new mixture of sphagnum moss, coco chunks, and pumice. This should hold more moisture more evenly instead of just at the very bottom.

Attachments

• 20220218_162906.jpg
    20220218_162906.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 5
Hope your plant recovers! Glad you found the “root” cause for your plant’s decline so you can take the appropriate steps forward.

Back