What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes species wanted+ advice needed

do you have more information?

Last edited:
hello. I'm sorry but I've decided that because I'm a beginner and will probably kill any even quite hard to grow species, for now I'll buy a simpler species which is available in my country for a year or too, and just then I'll buy something like burb or others from the list. again, I'm sorry and thank you whoever who tried to help me, but I just don't want to pay money for something that I know that'll die quite soon.

I mean, the temperature hers does drop to less than 9 Celsius in winter, and the humidity at night is lower than 70 many times. but if you say that it'll be able to grow in these conditions so I'll buy it. I just don't want to buy a plant which will need a greenhouse or something, because It'll cost like 300-600 dollars, which I'm not ready to pay now.

Yeah in winter. How about spring, summer and autumn?
I saw your list, but it impossible for you to grow something like lamii, villosa and many other without actively cooled grow chamber or terrarium.
And you will need thousands to build large cooled grow chamber and greenhouse.

it never goes down from 9 degrees Celsius in other seasons. again, at night the humidity drops to 50 in most of the seasons, but in day it's a lot higher.

- - - Updated - - -

it never goes down from 9 degrees Celsius in other seasons. again, at night the humidity drops to 50 in most of the seasons, but in day it's a lot higher.

- - - Updated - - -

lol why did it post it twice...
by the way, I'm 15, so I don't really have the money or space for a greenhouse

I just looked at Petah Tikva temperature data. Your lowest night temperature at 8-10C in January & February, and climb sharply in other month,especially in May to November, it's above 20C. An currently, your day temp around 30-35C, night temps at 22-24.I didn't bother to look at temperature, but if your night humidity dropped then no.

You cannot grow any highland and ultra at your climate without cooled terrarium/grow chamber. AC won't work, it will lower humidity sharply
and also limited at 16C. So forget it, your aim are too high. Try something like ventrata or alata.

what about intermediate? I've seen in flytrapcare that someone wrote that he grows burb in 50% humidity.

If you want humidity then you can just use any structure and some plastic wrap. I built one out of wooden poles and plastic wrap. Doesn’t do a perfect job but it works.

but I want to care it the best I could:) is it considered a big plant? I read that the prices for burb is from 18-75$ if it's a large plant. I may be wrong, sorry if I am, I'm new to all of it ��
did you find out how much everything together will cost?

- - - Updated - - -

and what about temperature? what can I do about that? is one of the growing chambers which I sent will do the job?

Those tents really do not do anything to keep in humidity and can get pretty hot once lights are running inside of them. They're more for maximizing the performance of your lights with their reflectiveness.

can you recommend anything which doesn't cost too much, isn't more than 1m in depth and width, will be good for intermediate to ultra highland nepenthes and for the long term? thanks

can you recommend anything which doesn't cost too much, isn't more than 1m in depth and width, will be good for intermediate to ultra highland nepenthes and for the long term? thanks

Did you read my previous comment ? Your night temps are above 20C for several months. Lowest night temps at winter at 8-10C for two month. You cannot grow highland, let alone ultra, without extensive cooling systems that work at high humidity conditions. Normal cooling method are not effective at high humidity. Greenhouse only provide humidity, but also build heat. Main purpose of greenhouse is to provide warm temperature for normal plants at winter, or cool temperature at summer, but using normal greenhouse cooler will decrease humidity a lot. While it good for other plants, it will bad for nepenthes.

but what do you say about burb and intermediate? I know that lowland will probably be able to grow here (lowlands which withstand lower humidity). I saw that burb can tolerate temps of up to 41 celsius. will a terrarium/ aquarium do the work if I put it inside when it's too hot here? because of course in summer the ac is always on:)

And ok. I understand that I can't grow highlaners here. but first, I saw that burbs need warmer growing conditions than other highlanders and can be nicely grown as intermediate. so let's say that I buy a terrarium. if I put it inside for summer and winter, and grow it outside in spring and fall, will it be ok for this specific species?

I detailed earlier why terrariums aren't great for neps. They don't provide that much useful space and get expensive very fast. Burb does grow slightly warmer than other highlanders but 20 at night is nearly pure lowland conditions.

so should I grow only lowlands?

and can I grow mollis outside and inside in winter? I'm really confused, actually. each person says something different. one says I can grow burbidgeae outside, one says I can't grow any highlands or intermediates, one says I can't grow lowlands. can somebody please explain which specific species of the list I've made can grow here? because I want to start with it but I can't as long as I get so many different opinions and points of view. thanks.

I was viewing it from a temperature perspective. They are most likely more experienced than me so you should listen to them more.

Back