What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Masagascariensis

I was thinking about trying to grow this cool nep in the near future but before I got it I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.

Thanks!

I had some once. Didn't do anything so I gave them away.

Not very popular for some reason.

I am on my second one. It is also not doing so good. I am looking forward to any advice you get here.

Steve

I have about 4 of these guys, grown from seeds from the ICPS seedbank.

They are in the basement under lights with my other highlanders. They are very slow growing, and seem to just struggle along for me. I can't remember for sure, but I think they are in straight LFS, or mostly LFS with a little of the "Deluxe Mix" from The Savage Garden Book. My largest trap is about 1 inch tall. Due to lack of space, one of the plants is not in a terrarium - it has no pitchers at the moment.

Occasionally I'l the feed the plants that do have pitchers a kind of Beta fishfood called BetaBioGold. Tiny round spheres - about the only thing that will fit in the traps.

I hope this info helps.

WildBill

Well that stinks!!!!
SO Now that I have that one crossed off for later I can go look for another interesting one that not many people show off......jk

N. madagascariensis is supposed to be a lowland. I've tried it in highland and lowland conditions and it doesn't really "do" anything, so i've crossed it off my list for good. Can't keep it alive either.

that nep dosen't even look good too.

sorta boring???

But it was the FIRST discovered nepenthes and that makes it special! It's our history!

Yeah, you're a master grower if you can blow us all away with your N. madagascariensis!

Mine actually grew pretty well in a tank I have at work. 60-80degrees all the time, under fluorescent tubes. But I took one business trip where the person I appointed to water the plants forgot. The plants weren't happy, but only the N. madagascariensis died. I say give it a try, though. Maybe it's just misunderstood. Maybe it just needs the right person to grow it!

Capslock

It's the same for me, it grew VERY slow and eventually died. Defiantly a hard plant to grow.

but some nurseries sell them, especially newly developed ones,

along with judith finn, sanguinea and ventricosa

Back