What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes inermis or dubia!?

Hi,

looking at some pictures of these two species, some dubts came in my mind. I have got 2 N. inermis, of from BE and the other from an czech grower (I bought it a the EEE in Prague). However I would like to receive some opinions about this plant: is there the possibility that it is a N. dubia?

3158e7e0.jpg

1326ac8d.jpg

4b302bf8.jpg

This is the N. inermis from Borneo Exotics
d7860fed.jpg

Thanks to all
Federico

Im no expert (my usual phrase) but I Dont think I have seen a N.inermis lower with a red peristom. :S

Hi all:

There was a long discussion about a year ago regarding a hybrid inermis X bongso being sold as inermis by a major nursery.

Gus

Oh no, i understood! I had a N. inermis x bongso, but I gave it away as a present to a friend of mine. this is a picture of a pitcher of its

04d336e5.jpg

My N. inermis had a red peristome at that young age due to being grown in bright lighting. When it matured the pitchers were textbook flare mouthed N. inermis. As with many plants extra light will give them a splash of color, I always strive for it. If they grow exactly side by side with same lighting my suggestion would be genetics. Mine was from Wistuba and had the red peristome (when it had a peristome).

However mine did not have the side blush nor the obvious divided teeth on the peristome as shown in the pic by Fede.

I would deffinately try and find out the source for the other plant. N. inermis can have some coloring when it is young and in lower pitcher form. The problem is that the hybrid N. inermis x bongso that were sold look very very similar to N. inermis when young. As they get older the color starts to come out, starting with the peristome. That plant looks suspiciously like the hybrid to me. Time will tell though for sure!

Here is the Wistuba clone with some coloring showing. I have never seen this clone to have just a red colored peristome at the size pictured however. Josh do you have a picture? As far as I know Wistuba just has one clone as I got 30 at one time and they all look identical.
NinermisCR.jpg

No I don't Wahhh! My site crashed and I lost all my years of photos and work. I had a backup disk but when I put it in my PC the folder for Nepenthes Garden (ex-Jurassic Garden) was empty... I made all my Neps into cuttings recently (or 90% of them from 2 years of unfettered growth) so all I have are all stems with one or two half leafs for now.
smile_h_32.gif

I can get a pic of my N. inermis lower on the basal shoot, looks just like Fedabra's red one.

i doubt it is N. dubia but if it is you are one dang lucky fool!
smile_n_32.gif
i have only seen N. inermis with a green persimtone and it was also flattened. yours looks raised a bit. it the pitcher fluid thick? thats one thing about inermis. thick pitcher fluid. but could that trait be passed on?
Glider

Yes the possibility of owning a dubia is very minimal
smile.gif
. I will control the thickness of the fluid. Now I have the whole pitchers filled with snail soup, I feeded them
smile_n_32.gif

Federico,
I am living this situation also like you,even I did not know about the past episodes for the Nepenthes Inermis.If someone COULD WRITE ME IN PRIVAT to tell me the Past story it would be nice.
I will post now here the progresses of my Nepenthes Inermis bought from Wistuba.
In the first pic it was on 21 Sept 2005 when I just put her into terraium:
inermis_wistuba1.jpg

This photo was taken TODAY 2 Febbruary 2005 :
inermis_wistuba2.jpg

And this is a detailed view of the last pitcher :
inermis_wistuba3.jpg

So..let me know what you think about.
Now since to the EEE of Praga I was not only person to have bough one inermis, here are two pictures of the one of my friend Daniele.
This is his plant from the top :
inermis_daniele2.jpg

And this a photo of its last pitcher:

inermis_daniele.jpg

Now try all yourself your conclusions!
I have also a question for myself : who has an inermis...how much leafes must grow or which high it must reach in order to develope upper pitchers or at least the first intermediate pitchers?
Thanks very much for all your posts!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Yes we have got the same identical clone, the one in peat and sand. But yours has less coloured pitchers

Mr Aga, here is my inermis next to a 300mm/1ft rule:

inermis1.jpg

It's latest pitcher is very nearly an upper

inermis2.jpg

and it's just making a basal.

inermis3.jpg

It's the BE plant, bought in March '04 when it was 75mm/3in across.
Cheers,
T.

Wow TonyC!
Super! At leastI have an idea when I will have to espect some nice intermediate pictures!
Looking at mine do you think that I have to wait much time?
From what high your plant begun to develope more adult pictures?
Great! Post more history all of you if you have!
Bye!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Wow...finally something seems to change for my inermis!
The last pitcher seems to be not anymore like the last ones... :

inermis_new1.jpg

inermis_new2.jpg

It is a beauty or not?
Bye!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Hi,

Are those leaves slightly peltate or is it the the magnification? N.inermis x ?

Simon

THis "should" be a pure inermis!
Maybe this is the first intermediate pitchers!
Only with the next pitchers I will know more about its nature of this plant!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Aga but that is BE or AW clone? I have got BE clone...

FedeAbra,
mine is Wistuba clone!
It was from EEE Praga Meeting.
Anyway I am growing all 2 clones of Wistuba.
This in the photo is Nep. Inermis. ( 20 Euro )
I have also the Clone 1 ( 15 Euro )
Here are is the pic directly from EEE Wistuba.
I have bough the 2 clones.

inermis_clones.jpg

Ok?Is your ok?
Bye
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Some growing statistic of my Nepenthes Dubia of Wistuba :
Love it?
She is growing very fine and I am also feeding her with little insect...yes...very little...man..I have to carry sunglasses ,ahahahaha! wowowowowoowow!!!!!!!
Byeee!
Mr_Aga
Milan

nepenthes_dubia2005-06.jpg

Back