What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes ID

Here are a few pictures of the result of a Nepenthes cutting I rooted last year. Unfortunately in the process of receiving it and splitting the cutting with another local grower, the tag was lost. The cutting was obtained from Whimgrinder. I'm very sure that it is a plant with a latin name - either a pure species or natural hybrid with a latin name (like hookeriana) and that the name is fairly short. My original thought was either N. mikei or N. pyriformis though it doesn't look like the pitchers match either of those. The plant has been growing under household conditions (~70F days, ~60F nights, ~50% humidity) and reliably produces pitchers on every leaf.

cIZBAfn.jpg

The whole plant. As you can see there are some drops of nectar on the leaf. The red leaf is a result of moving the plant to stronger lighting.

ColknWh.jpg

The newest and largest pitcher grown from the red leaf. It just opened a day or two ago.

KJEEs8p.jpg

A possibly-identifying characteristic - every pitcher has a single spur on the lid like this in addition to the little "fan" at the junction between the pitcher and lid.

It reminds me of ventrata or ventricosa, but that's all I can say. Sorry I couldn't help further.

It reminds me of ventrata or ventricosa, but that's all I can say. Sorry I couldn't help further.
I'm quite certain it's not either of those - they have a rather wide pitcher bottom while this plant doesn't.

I had an experienced grower elsewhere suggest either N. dubia or N. inermis, which is an interesting possibility easily confirmed by upper pitchers whenever the plant happens to grow some.

If it came from mr barden there is a good chance its a hybrid, however im going to hazard a guess at n. Fusca

If it came from mr barden there is a good chance its a hybrid, however im going to hazard a guess at n. Fusca

I don't think the leaf shape is right for N. fusca.

Most certainly not a ventrata or ventricosa

You may have already figured this into your calculations, but if it came from Whim, high probability it is a highlander.

N. x pyriformis is looking more likely as I do more reading. The leaf shape is right, and N. inermis (one of the parents of that hybrid) pitchers are known to lack any sort of spots, but flush red under stronger lighting, which this plant is doing. It should be clearer when the plant starts producing mature pitchers as these all appear to be juvenile.

It reminds me of a N. Diatas, but that's probably definitely wrong

N. diatas looks fairly different from this even from a young age (large teeth are one of those differing traits). And as noted earlier the pitchers are not like fusca (or as some people say the various taxa now called fusca), nor do the leaves. I think at this point the necessity is in getting it to produce some more mature pitchers (including eventually uppers) to see what all it will display. It without a doubt involves the inermis complex and quite well could be pyriformis but I would think that would also cause wider lower pitchers (knowing what talangensis does to its hybrids), or it could still be too young to see that effect. There are other species that inermis and dubia can hybridize in the wild with though.

Most certainly not a ventrata or ventricosa
I guess I should clear things up. My suspicion was that it had ventrata or ventricosa genes, but upon closer inspection it probably doesn't have that either.

I guess I should clear things up. My suspicion was that it had ventrata or ventricosa genes, but upon closer inspection it probably doesn't have that either.

Could definitely be a hybrid. I suspect it's a pure dubia though

I think you're right on the money hcarlton. From what pictures I've been able to find, the pitchers very closely resemble juvenile pitchers of N. inermis, right down to the partial wings. One example I found:

4519681973_0b0b7b99be.jpg

Of course N. dubia is so similar I'm not really sure how to tell them apart without upper pitchers. I don't have any experience with these species though.

Last edited:
Well I have been informed that this plant is N. "Triffid" ("Splendid Diana" x dubia = (kampotiana x maxima) x dubia) so it seems I was wrong about it being a pure species or natural hybrid. You guys were right on the money with N. inermis and N. dubia.

Back