What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Cutting Medium

Hi all,
I was wondering if it was okay to try and root nepenthes cuttings in live sphagnum moss. Thanks.

Hi all,
I was wondering if it was okay to try and root nepenthes cuttings in live sphagnum moss. Thanks.

Live Sphagnum is beyond a doubt the BEST thing to root Nepenthes cuttings in.

A local nursery I've been working with occasionally has switched to pure perlite with some LFS on top. Their success rate is close to 100%.

A local nursery I've been working with occasionally has switched to pure perlite with some LFS on top. Their success rate is close to 100%.

And I was going to say - Perlite (nothing else mixed in) is the second best rooting medium for the genus and is perfectly good for the task as well.

Perlite tip: handle it WET only. The dust that comes off perlite is basically powdered glass, which can cause lung problems if inhaled. So -it is recommended that you open the bag of perlite and water down the entire contents before handling. Wet it every time you need to use some if it has dried out.

I had pretty good luck rooting cuttings in a jar of water on the windowsill, a plus is that you can check on its progress.

Back