What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes alata

Ok i bought a nepenthes alata but i think its really ventrata but thats not really the concern but i got it in a 4 inch hanging basket and its just overflowing its little pot with pitchers larger then the pot. Do nepenthes like to be pot bound? or is it best for me to repot it into a larger pot. The rootball is like seperated from the pot like its a clump and theres space between the pot and the rootball.

Nepenthes can deal with small pots but the downside is the mix will dry out really fast when the plant gets larger and uses up the water in the mix quicker. It sounds like it may be an issue already if the mix is pulling away from the inside pot wall. Something that happens when a peat based mix gets too dry. Sounds like it would appreciate room to spread some more roots. Something around 8" perhaps.

That is about as ideal and easy repotting situation as I have ever heard. Sounds like you can easily manuerver the root mass w/ soil out easily and just insert in a large pot with fresh mudium. If the original mix was peat, this gives you a chance to use a better medium. Trent Meeks recommends 50/50 peat/perlite with this transistion, though I would think any suitable mix would work(Trent knows a lot more than I do, though). You might want to use a stake to keep the repotted plant from toppling over in it's new pot.

Cheers,

Joe

Oh i know just looking at the root ball seperated just makes me want to repot it. And yes it does dry out quick. it seems like the mix is pure peat cause its just like a solid block. I am going to repot it into my nepenthes mix that i already have made up. Its a peat spagnum and perlite with some orchid chips.

Back