What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some suggestions

First of all if this is the wrong place to post my apologies! But I'm in Iraq now and I'm trying to get a list of CPs i want..problem is i dont have much time to do research now so i'm hoping you guys can help! What i'm looking for are the usual: drosera, neps, sarrs, pings etc. I'm looking for plants that can withstand : a college aged room mate and an aqaurium setting and will stay fairly small. Like I said just trying to get a list, I still have 7 months to go before I'm done with tour. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
BB (my Army nickname)

I think some of the Mexican pings would work well. They don't need much in the way of watering, especially if you keep their terrarium semi-sealed up so that not much moisture is lost to evaporation. And they don't get very big.

My vote is Pinguicula Agnata, Drosera Adelae (or D. Capensis) and Nepenthes Ventricosa.

Those species are among the easiest of all carnivores and don't require much sun or heavy watering.

I agree with nesler. Pings and dews are your best bet. Also I'm not sure if this is a concern or not but plants you buy while your in Iraq might be difficult to get back to the states. I'm guessing here but if you ship them home you will need all the paper work that goes with shipping plants.

I agree with nesler. Pings and dews are your best bet. Also I'm not sure if this is a concern or not but plants you buy while your in Iraq might be difficult to get back to the states. I'm guessing here but if you ship them home you will need all the paper work that goes with shipping plants.

Actually I'm waiting til i get home before I buy any. lol they wouldn't even survive the trip! But dont ventricosa get pretty large?

OK, That makes things a little easier! Ventricosa do get pretty large over time. They are one of the easiest Neps to grow and are very forgiving in term of enviroments it will grow in. Very good plants for beginners. You can always move it to a window that gets good light most of the day after it out grows the terrarium.

Actually I'm waiting til i get home before I buy any. lol they wouldn't even survive the trip! But dont ventracosa get pretty large?

well see the thing is im active which means i live in barracks with other soldiers and that means ill have a roomie. are there any neps that stay fairly small to med that can survive a tank environment

most if not all will out grow the terrarium. If you have an large terrarium it might work. You would have to trim it back every now and then.

well see the thing is im active which means i live in barracks with other soldiers and that means ill have a roomie. are there any neps that stay fairly small to med that can survive a tank environment

Nepenthes Campanulata and Nepenthes Argentii are very nice Tank candidates.

most if not all will out grow the terrarium. If you have an large terrarium it might work. You would have to trim it back every now and then.

i kinda figured... dang..

Something like gracilis would take cutting back well. It would be good if your tank is warmer.

what about dews? would pygmies do well with nep settings?

Back