What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need opinions about new idea.

Hello friends,

I have been contemplating this for a long time. Based on the success of the albino capensis "SASE" thread, I have decided to "beta" test a seed bank based on the concept.

I need you guys to check it out. Tell me what you think!

I have one major problem. As in the SASE, I get a stamp for each lot...that is the lowest-value commonly available thing (easily sent too) that I know of. The problem is that I already have enough stamps! I'll be swimming in them-possibly. I might have to stand outside the post office and offer passer-bys stamps @ 40 cents each :jester:

Is there anything besides a dollar and a stamp that you can think of? If it must be stamps...arg...I might be set for life in a couple of years (stamp is becoming obsolete). The packing materials cost money, the PO box costs money, the transportation--even by bike, consumes energy...I need something to offset these costs. Oh, and I spend my valuable time packing the seeds!:-))

So, please take a look: SDCPs Seed Bank

Thanks! It's totally reversible if its bad.

As cheap as the packets may be or however good a deal, it is against the forum rules to advertise sales. Your generosity is appreciated though. If you'd like to still do SASEs but not have to deal with making packets, just request that people send you packets with their envelopes.
The seed bank in itself isn't a bad idea but the ICPS already has a large list to which if you donate you give yourself access to a list that non-donors do not get to see. Plus not to mention you'd be supporting the ICPS.

I have to agree with French3z. It is nice for TF members to be able to have free seeds (which was also my goal when I did giveaways), BUT if you want to sell seeds for cheap (which it sounds like that is what you're essential goal is), then there are other forums where that is perfectly legal and you won't have to find loopholes in the system here to get compensation for your efforts. And as was mentioned, there's always the ICPS seed bank. Also, if you want to save money on packaging materials, all I did was use paper and folded it up (granted this might take even longer than the method you're using now).

I ended up spending a solid week after school ended packaging up seeds for a June giveaway last year. It was so much work that I'm pretty discouraged from ever doing it again (for the most part, there was no compensation at all), but at the time, my main goal was not compensation, but rather, it was to give back to the CP community here, which helped me out a ton (both with plant material and advice) when I first started growing. So until I graduate from college/ graduate school it is unlikely there will be any more giveaway threads from me, unless it is very small-scale. I get enough emails right now requesting free seeds that I don't have any extras to give away, unless I were to spend a considerable amount of time packaging them up again. However, I feel more satisfied that I've put at least a little effort forth to give back to the members of TF.

Best of luck with your decisions and keep up the good growing!
Aaron
It

Ahhh, this is good! Thank you for the constructive criticism!

As cheap as the packets may be or however good a deal, it is against the forum rules to advertise sales. Your generosity is appreciated though. If you'd like to still do SASEs but not have to deal with making packets, just request that people send you packets with their envelopes.
The seed bank in itself isn't a bad idea but the ICPS already has a large list to which if you donate you give yourself access to a list that non-donors do not get to see. Plus not to mention you'd be supporting the ICPS.

Ok, I'm not trying to advertise with this thread. I'm just trying to get some feedback.

I'm not a member of the ICPS. I do like the idea though! I may send some of my D. venusta seeds there...if I can. I would like to try more exotic seeds!

About the ICPS's seed bank. I think you have to donate like 15 packets and then you get one packet. Is this true? How would you go about doing it?

I have to agree with French3z. It is nice for TF members to be able to have free seeds (which was also my goal when I did giveaways), BUT if you want to sell seeds for cheap (which it sounds like that is what you're essential goal is), then there are other forums where that is perfectly legal and you won't have to find loopholes in the system here to get compensation for your efforts. And as was mentioned, there's always the ICPS seed bank. Also, if you want to save money on packaging materials, all I did was use paper and folded it up (granted this might take even longer than the method you're using now).

I ended up spending a solid week after school ended packaging up seeds for a June giveaway last year. It was so much work that I'm pretty discouraged from ever doing it again (for the most part, there was no compensation at all), but at the time, my main goal was not compensation, but rather, it was to give back to the CP community here, which helped me out a ton (both with plant material and advice) when I first started growing. So until I graduate from college/ graduate school it is unlikely there will be any more giveaway threads from me, unless it is very small-scale. I get enough emails right now requesting free seeds that I don't have any extras to give away, unless I were to spend a considerable amount of time packaging them up again. However, I feel more satisfied that I've put at least a little effort forth to give back to the members of TF.

Best of luck with your decisions and keep up the good growing!
Aaron
It

One of my goals is not to get discouraged as happened to you. Really, I pinch pennies, so if I get a little something its not like to happen. I'm not going to use my money to give away seeds. You want the seeds? You pay for the costs of getting them to you...the SASE+ is all inclusive. Here's the problem: If people want more packs than one I start making a small profit.

I've changed the site around a little and got rid of some of the pages. It was originally meant to give people info on plants I sold locally...I haven't sold many because I haven't tried.

Other than advice, I can only point out 5 instances or so where members have been generous with plant material (either by sending free seeds 2x or by greatly surpassing my trade 3x.) Most of the time I traded an equal or greater amount for what I have. I don't have the same attachment to the community that you have, unfortunately. This is because I refrain from asking for free stuff. I realize that it costs money for members to send things...even if they would give it away.

Also, I don't want emails asking for free seeds. I think that if there is a little effort on the part of the person who wants seeds, that I won't run into those that aren't serious about trying CP seed.

Yes, this is going to be interesting. I doubt it will be used much, but unless I find really good reasons to take it down (which I am waiting for) I might as well see what comes of it.

I'm ready for more wisdom from you guys! I want to "do the right thing."

Back