What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Dew ID please.

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
This dew came as a stow away with a sarr that JBL sent me.  It just shot up a flower spike and I would like to ID it so I know what to call the seeds when I dispurse them to terraforum.
unknown%20dew%20001_635x480.jpg

unknown%20dew%20002_635x480.jpg

Thanks everyone

Looks like a D.filiformis to me.

most definitely, looks like (if that bit of red in the pic is not a mirage) it would be D.filiformis ssp. filiformis- if there's no red, it is D.filiformis var. tracyii but I would go with the former- if the flowers are pinky-purple you'll have a pretty reliable ID

Drosophyllum! J/K. That's a filiformis, just not red or California Sunset.

D.filiformis ssp. filiformis is what the tag will say when I get around to putting one by it. Tamlin agrees that is what it is too. There is a red tint to it, and its growing in sull sun in the same bog as some of my Sarrs. So I look forward to pollinating the flowers and getting seed to share. Woo hoo I have flowers popping up everywhere!

Here's the California Sunset cultivar, from last summer:

s_Wed_086.jpg

DON'T TOUCH THOSE FLOWERS!!!!!!!! They are self fertilizing, and will drop a ton of seed. Dies back for winter with a resting bud called a hibernaculum. Leave them alone, and they should spring to life in the spring. (Didn't I just say that?) Red tentacles or red glands highlight the plant in full light. They look best with all red tentacles. Very cold hardy sundew.

I can chime in with a testimonial as to the cold hardiness- almost everyone I know in Canada who grows things outside grows this species, I have kept some outside for a few years but there are others who have had stands of them developing for over 10, it is a TOUGH plant

And yes, like BW said they make enough seeds by themselves- and a pleasant bonus, they seem to divide themselves- I haven't figured it out exactly, but it seems like they make "bonus plants" from the roots... anyone??
I just know that every year, plants come up that weren't there the year before and they are WAY too big to be coming up from seeds..

Tamlin I posted this at the same time I sent you the PM. Along with getting an ID I wanted to see what everyone else called it.
smile_n_32.gif

Sneaky little devil I am. LMAO

That's always a good idea, I am not omniscient...been wrong before and will be wrong again. it's always best to post your questions in public in case others have the same questions.

Unlike William, I AM omniscient. I am never wrong except when I just ain't right!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ June 24 2006,7:41)]Unlike William, I AM omniscient. I am never wrong except when I just ain't right!!!
I'm trying to decide which reads better. Ain't right as being slightly off mentally or as in being wrong. Decisions, decisions.

J/K Bugweed!

BCK, yes! Whatever you prefer. I like the mental part!

Back