What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Necps show!

Schloaty -

GREAT PICS!! Especially of my Ceph Hummer's Giant & Drosophyllum, heh, heh.

Did you get any of the gianormous N. truncata or the Roridula?

I must say those cephs are AWSOME! the drosophyllum is cool but not AWSOME like the cephs :p

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Oct. 14 2004,1:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]was that aristo for sale?

Hey Kirk.  No, actually that's my aristo.  Eat your heart out
smile_n_32.gif
okay now i feel alot better

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Did you get any of the gianormous N. truncata or the Roridula?

trunc.JPG

rori.JPG

well its a "quasi-carnivore" some people say it isnt because "assasin bugs" come around and eat the insects

Kirk has half the story... The rori catches the bugs, then the assasin bug comes along (without getting stuck), and eats the bugs. The assasin bug also secretes a fluid that the rori can absorb through the leaves...So the assasin bug acts as a sort of "seregate" stomac for the plant. It's a symbiotic relationship.

Roridula is still rather rare in cultivation, we are fortunate that we have Dr. Matt Opel of UCONN, who grew it in our group. The plant is soooo cool to see in person - it's feathery looking. Matt said it even catches dragonflies.

Barry Rice is visiting our region next week. Check out what he said in an email to me: "I figure some of Tuesday night will be spend chatting with you and other meeting participants, but Monday, perhaps Tuesday, and Wednesday nights I may be meeting with some folks I know from the area. Matthew Opel (Uconn) has offered to show me around the greenhouses, in particular I'm hoping to see the collection's fine Roridula."

Way to go Matt!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's a symbiotic relationship.
mutualistic relationship :p
parasitism and communalism are symbiotic relationships too
smile.gif

i was gonna go.. man.. sounds like i missed alot
smile_h_32.gif

I'm definately going next year!

Now my attempt at identification.
Is that large vining nep...N. alata "Boschiana Mimic?"
smile.gif

The large, vining nep is alata, but whether it is "Boschiana Mimic" or not, you got me.

well i have hamata now that is growing very nicely so i dont want an aristo quite as bad as i used to, but still...
oh yeah i should change my sig huh?

At the moment I'm in a frantic hurry to find grow lights, I've looked at shoplights but there all 4 feet! I only need 3 feet! any advice on where to aquire cheap lighting? Oh yeah Kirk, you spelled currently wrong
laugh.gif

oh lol thanks well i got a 4 foot at home depot for 7 bucks, one quick tip look for lights that are made in large quantities, theyre usually cheapest

I guess I'll just have to get some more plants to fill up four feet
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've looked at shoplights but there all 4 feet! I only need 3 feet! any advice on where to aquire cheap lighting? Oh yeah Kirk, you spelled currently wrong

Grim, not to break chops, but you wrote "there all 4 feet." I think you meant "they're all 4 feet."

hee hee.

Back