Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Oct. 14 2004,1:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]was that aristo for sale?

Hey Kirk.  No, actually that's my aristo.  Eat your heart out
smile_n_32.gif
okay now i feel alot better

schloaty

Staff member
Kirk has half the story... The rori catches the bugs, then the assasin bug comes along (without getting stuck), and eats the bugs. The assasin bug also secretes a fluid that the rori can absorb through the leaves...So the assasin bug acts as a sort of "seregate" stomac for the plant. It's a symbiotic relationship.

Roridula is still rather rare in cultivation, we are fortunate that we have Dr. Matt Opel of UCONN, who grew it in our group. The plant is soooo cool to see in person - it's feathery looking. Matt said it even catches dragonflies.

Barry Rice is visiting our region next week. Check out what he said in an email to me: "I figure some of Tuesday night will be spend chatting with you and other meeting participants, but Monday, perhaps Tuesday, and Wednesday nights I may be meeting with some folks I know from the area. Matthew Opel (Uconn) has offered to show me around the greenhouses, in particular I'm hoping to see the collection's fine Roridula."

Way to go Matt!!!!!

At the moment I'm in a frantic hurry to find grow lights, I've looked at shoplights but there all 4 feet! I only need 3 feet! any advice on where to aquire cheap lighting? Oh yeah Kirk, you spelled currently wrong
laugh.gif

schloaty

Staff member
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've looked at shoplights but there all 4 feet! I only need 3 feet! any advice on where to aquire cheap lighting? Oh yeah Kirk, you spelled currently wrong

Grim, not to break chops, but you wrote "there all 4 feet." I think you meant "they're all 4 feet."

hee hee.