What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naturally occurring Sarracenia hybrids?

Hello all,

Is there a resource known to this community that lists what species are capable of hybridizing on their own in nature? I realize that with artificial pollination most species can be crossed. That's not the intention of this post however; I'm hoping to discover which plants share reproductive times and, if sympatric, would cross pollinate. I'm hoping to AVOID hybrids and would like to know which combos to avoid.

Thank you!

Last edited:
So if I understand correctly, anything can essentially hybridize with anything and pure strains when in mixed company remain pretty much just by luck?

Not totally. Most species have specific flowering times that only overlap with other species at the ends of those times. Hybrids are common where the overlap happens to be large, but pure strains often still stick around.

Not totally. Most species have specific flowering times that only overlap with other species at the ends of those times. Hybrids are common where the overlap happens to be large, but pure strains often still stick around.

Is there a list known to the community that has the flowering times arranged in such a way as to compare what plants flower when for the purpose of naturally hybridizing? This is rather what I was looking for at the beginning anyway.

In my experience S. flava, leucophylla, purpurea and rosea all hybridize naturally and readily together, while it is rare for them to form hybrids with the rubra complex, psittanica, and sometimes alata. rubra, alata and psittanica will often hybridize together naturally though.

From experience I know that psittanica and flava almost never naturally hybridize, as I have been to a bog where thousands of both individuals are present and not one hybrid was to be found.

Do note there are often exceptions though and all species can and sometimes do hybridize together.

In my experience S. flava, leucophylla, purpurea and rosea all hybridize naturally and readily together, while it is rare for them to form hybrids with the rubra complex, psittanica, and sometimes alata. rubra, alata and psittanica will often hybridize together naturally though.

From experience I know that psittanica and flava almost never naturally hybridize, as I have been to a bog where thousands of both individuals are present and not one hybrid was to be found.

Do note there are often exceptions though and all species can and sometimes do hybridize together.

Good to know!

My land has minor, psittacina and flava, all of which are in separate parts of the property and don't really occur side by side. As I've started to restore the land to its former natural pine savanna ecosystem, I've had to move some of the plants that I've found and I'm worried that by moving them closer to each other, I might be creating a situation where they'll hybridize. I don't really want hybrids if I can avoid it.

(To be honest, I've not seen the flavas in years; I'm worried that they've been extirpated)

I am mad jelly here in Missouri. No Sarracenia here, and you have a veritable Sarr farm! Some folks have all the luck. ;)

Congrats on the land reconstitution. I sure wish all land owners shared your drive.

These hybrids are very commonly found;
-flava x leucophylla
-flava x purpurea
-flava x rosea
-leucophylla x rosea
-psittacina x minor

Uncommon:
-rubra x purpurea
-jonesii x purpurea
-minor x leucophylla
-leucophylla x rubra gulfensis
-leucophylla x alabamensis wherryi
-rubra x flava
-alata x rosea
-alata x leucophylla
-alata x rubra gulfensis
-alata x alabamensis wherryi
-psittacina x leucophylla
-minor x purpurea
-minors x rubra

Rare:
-psittacina x flava
-psittacina x alata
-psittacina x rubra gulfensis
-psittacina x alabamensis wherryi
-psittacina x rosea
-oreophila x rubra Georgia Fall Line Sand Hill

My land has minor, psittacina and flava, all of which are in separate parts of the property and don't really occur side by side.

In the wild, S. minor and S. psittacina hybridize with each other more commonly (S. x formosa) than the others. A large population of S x. formosa is known from Charlton Co., GA, and a smaller population from Franklin Co., FL.

S. minor x flava (S. x harperi) has been found in South Carolina and Georgia, and S. flava x S. psittacina has been found (at least twice) in Franklin Co., FL as well.

I don't know the circumstances of most of these sites, although in my experience, hybridization tends to occur more frequently in areas of disturbance (e.g. roadside mowing).

Even without disturbance, however, I have seen late-flowering S. alatas in Mississippi overlapping with early-flowering S. psittacinas, and hybrids of the two, as well as what I assume to be introgressant hybrids (e.g. S. alatas with pink flowers) have been seen in the area.

Sarracenia flowers are typically pollinated by bumblebees, and I have read that a mile is about the limit of their travel.

Hope this helps.

Rare:
-psittacina x flava
-psittacina x alata
-psittacina x rubra gulfensis
-psittacina x alabamensis wherryi
-psittacina x rosea
-oreophila x rubra Georgia Fall Line Sand Hill

Is there really a recorded hybrid between oreophila and rubra? Towns Co. seems awfully far away from Taylor, Peach, etc.

The rest I have in my collection, so I know that they exist :).

Oreophila does not occur naturally with any other species of Sarracenia, so no natural hybrids are known with that species. Perhaps once when its range was larger, but not now.

Good luck on restoring the property! That seems like a cool project!

Back