What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NASC AUCTION...ends tonite at 10 p.m. Edst

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hi everybody

I have been a little absent this week as I have been sick...so sorry if I've been tardy in replies to PMs and such.

Well I must say this year's auction has just been a whirlwind! I am blown away by the generosity of all the participants. There are SO many awesome items in the auction that it's really hard to pick out a few to bid on. (And I've bid on more than a few.)

I hope you all will be around tomorrow nite for the auction's end. It ends tomorrow, April 25th, at 10 p.m. EASTERN DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME.

PLEASE NOTE: I'd like to request that anyone hanging around to snipe, that you don't leave open too many "tabs" at one time. This puts a LOT of stress on the server and we believe that is what caused the The Big Crash last year. It was rumored one person had 100 tabs open. :0o: I know it might hard when you have a lot of plants you want but...we don't (and I'm sure Andrew doesn't) want a repeat of last year's finale although Andrew has upgraded his server.

Let us know what you think...if you had fun or have any suggestions for future auctions.

I think it has been a LOT of fun!

AND...I THINK we might set a new record this year so it's looking great for our being able to assist TNC NC with site maintenance.

THANK YOU so, so much from everyone involved with NASC. We appreciate your support.

See you tomorrow!

-PAKtioneer

Last edited:
And just a suggestion, don't Snipe :-(.

This is for a good cause and we would raise more money without Snipping :-D.

You're absolutely right on this issue!!! I don't understand why people are confusing this auction with ebay auctions.

Oh come on, snipping is the best! There's nothing I like more than bidding for the 25th time on the same species of plant for the last 3 months! :D

ROFL I just love people's sense of humor here. (That WAS a joke, wasn't it?). hehe

Maybe every sniper should get one of Ozzy's roaches. :-D

Aha, we the crash has an official name? Lol. It's amazing how we might break the record even with there wasn't as many auctionings this time.

Sniping is the best! It brings more money to NASC!! And more FUN to it all.

Hmmm, the crash could have been due to people trying to crash the server, so no one else bids on the items they wanted :D :0o: But i could be mistaken....

Now that is something I never thought about.... lol Hmmmmmmmmm...sneaky!!

Aha, we the crash has an official name? Lol. It's amazing how we might break the record even with there wasn't as many auctionings this time.

Yes, it is now The Big Crash of 2008. lol

You know, I wondered the same thing. Last year I think we had 200 listings. So we are a little short this year. HOWEVERRRRR....there is STILL TIME TO LIST ITEMS!!!! hehe

Yes, it is now The Big Crash of 2008. lol

Uuug. Can we please call it The Big Crash and drop the "2008"? The presence of a date makes it sound like it needs to be differentiated from another instance. And I hope there will never be any other such instance. PLEASE no TBCo'09. lol

Welllllll...at this point, all we can do is laugh about it. :D :blush:

For next year:

Would anyone be opposed to setting a limit on how bids you can be bidding on at once such as 5 or 10?
Say if you currently have the highest bid in 5 or 10 listings then you are not eligible to bid on another item until someone else outbids you. I'm asking this because it would be nice to leave a chance for others to get at least 1 plant. I know the purpose of this is to raise money but seeing how high the bids have been getting I cant see any change donation wise.
This is the case even when the same plant shows up more then once. The same people will bid on the same item in 2 different listings. Would it be too much to ask to 'spread the love'? As much as this is a fundraiser it's also a chance for everyone to get some nice plants and have fun bidding. Having 'friendly competitions' is what makes this event fun, not 'how large is your bank account' competitions.

Some may try to create 2 or more accounts but maybe the limit could be monitored when the checks are sent to the NASC, that person can only have the 5 or 10 items and if they have more then the next highest bids wins.

I can see how this would become a hassle to keep track of during the bidding period but if each person can bookmark what they are bidding on it'd be easier. It's not a perfect system I know but it can be worked on I'm sure. This way more people get something they'd like rather then 1 person hording 20 items.

Just an idea, I'd like to hear what other have to say. Please dont bash, I can understand if you disagree, just view it from this point of view. Thanks :)

I know I've bid on 2 like items, simply because I think I'm going to get snipped at 9:59 tonight on one of them. All the bids placed so far don't mean anything.....

All the bids placed so far don't mean anything.....

Well they mean a lot to NASC and what we can accomplish with these funds. Last year we were able to donate $3,000 to the Splinter Hill land acquisition project from this auction. No small feat in my opinion. And that was all due to the many, many, many bids (both large AND small) in the auction. Everyone participating in the NASC auction, whether listing or bidding, becomes a part of a larger idea than just acquiring an awesome plant--you are assisting in conservation of the lands that support Sarracenia and other companion CPs.

That said...I totally understand "the pain". Every year people are disappointed as something they really want moves out of reach. But that is the way auctions are unfortunately. It's happened to me a gazillion times on eBay. I want something really bad (fluorite!) but I get outbid by someone with either more money or a faster hand.

The difference here is...on eBay somebody won an item and that's it. Here, the money we raise will help us hopefully make a change for the good on our ailing planet.

If it makes you feel any better...I'll be in the same boat. So lend me a shoulder and we'll cry together. lol :)

Frenchy, I understand what you are saying too. However, that would be extremely hard to monitor. We have 184 listings...with umpteen posts within the topics...and a handful of mods to check on everything. And also...we kinda hate to limit someone who is willing to donate money (indirectly) to NASC. While people do get "something" for their bid...the generosity of the bids I believe are based on people's willingness to help with conservation.

**But since we all do understand the pain of "losing," I'd like to make a request that everyone who wins plant material to grow it out and get seed, take a cutting or leaf pull...and share it with someone who bid on the item in the auction. How's that? If everybody does that, then double the amount of people will have what they want. Then those recipients do the same...and so on. :)

It has been a long time since the special man Tamlin Dawnstar has been here preaching about spreading the love. But that is how it should be. People here are VERY generous and have and will continue to do this. If you share, the plants will spread!

I'm truly blown away by how generous people have been...donating and bidding.

Less than two hours left... Good luck to you all. :-D

I have my fingers crossed very hard. But I'm definitely of the opinion that even if I don't win a single thing, bidding was worth it, since my bid means the end price might be just that much higher, and the more money for this cause, the better!

I completetly understand the pain. We went out to eat and did a little shopping and then come home and I had to cross off 8 items from my list. They just went up too much in the last few hours. Bad for me, good for the NASC.

Atleast someone is winning :-)).

Thank you all for the kind sentiments. This is a record-breaking year for sure. :)

AND....WE BROKE 200 LISTINGS!

:banana2: :boogie: :-O

It's kinda nerve-wracking isn't it? lol

Hmmm, in how many minutes does the auction end? i'm not sure if my time is in edst, whatever that means :D

Sorry...just saw this. It means "Eastern Daylight Saving Time". I typed it repeatedly in caps and it would not let me do that. Kept lowercasing the letters. :scratch: -PAK

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys have about an hour left till 10!!! And hooray for breaking 200 listings! WOOT!

Back