What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey all. I was just wondering what kind of culture Predator requires. Is it best to keep humidity above 75% like hamata? Also, high light or low light? Just to give an idea of my conditions, sibuyanensis, khasiana and x ventrata grow very well in my conditions. Carunculata grows quickly although it hasn't pitchered yet. Thanks all.

-D. Lybrand

I'n my experience, predator in not really very picky as far as temps go. They do seem to like bright light. Should grow very well along side your hamata.
Hope that helps,
Robin
smile.gif

Thanks for the info. I can't wait til it comes! Actually I can. In fact, I have no choice, but you know what I mean! Does Predator have the amazing pitcher to leaf ratio like its parents? I'd think yes from some of the photos I've seen.

-D. Lybrand

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dlybrand @ Oct. 08 2005,8:00)]Does Predator have the amazing pitcher to leaf ratio like its parents?
I believe it does. I find it an extremely rewarding hybrid. My Predator is the only one of altogether 106 neps in my shadehouse that has never, ever had a pitcherless leaf, as far as I can recall (and I pamper all my neps recklessly!)

What temps do you grow yours at? Also, does anyone know whether the truncata Exotica used was highland or lowland? Probably lowland because Predator can grow like an intermediate.

-D. Lybrand

From what I understand, the truncata used was a striped peristome lowlander. I was growing mine as highlanders at first. They really grew fast at those temps. They outgrew the space in just a few months, so I ended up moving them to my intermediate lowland tank. They slowed down a little bit, but they are doing fine in there. I'm gonna bet that this is one of those plants that grows well in just about any conditions you can provide. A very robust hybrid! easier than a ventricosa!

Robin
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rlhirst @ Oct. 09 2005,2:49)]I'm gonna bet that this is one of those plants that grows well in just about any conditions you can provide.
I agree. I grow all my neps outside. Here in Northern Taiwan that means lowland conditions during the summer, lowland to intermediate conditions during spring and fall, and heated greenhouse in winter. So far, the Predator's been performing very well.

Hurrah! I hope it doesn't grow slower as a highland than as an intermediate. If it does, I can always make another tank...

-D. Lybrand

It grows fast and great as a highlander D. Mine was second best at the BACPS meeting!

N_x_Predator6.sized.jpg

Capslock

my god the pithcer size to leaf size ratio on that plant is outstanding! good growing Caps!

Awesome plant! BTW, why does the baby pitcher get the ribbon? What size did that plant come and how big is it now?

Mine is supposed to come at 6-8 in. unpotted. Hopefully this plant isn't too susceptible to root shock. Is something like SuperThrive a good idea? I have never used it in repotting any of my Neps before.

-D. Lybrand

Lybrand I dont think he got the price for just the pitchers. They just put it there :p

BTW capslock, Im a little curious. What did beat your predator?

TyFone, it was a very nice ampularia complete with a basal carpet and stem pitchers. No arguement from me. In fact, there were several nice plants, including mature N. glandifulera and N. platychilla.

D., mine came as a plant about 3 inches accross, with 1 1/2 inch pitchers. It was pretty small, but it grew quickly. In fact, it had no transport shock at all. I think, like some others have said, that this is a hybrid with all the good traits of hybrids, and despite some hamata heritage, is as easy as any maxima or ventricosa hybrid. You should have no problems with it, and I wouldn't bother with the superthrive. Just pot it up and enjoy!

Capslock

You think it will do good in lowland? 30C day and 23 night?

Sry lybrand for stealing of your topic ;)

I suspect it would do fine, TyFone, but I'd wait till the price dropped before trying! LOL!

Capslock

Nice plant Caps. Dang I missed the show! I have too many plants, and I needed to off load some at the auction....Well Maybe I can make the next one. See if I can give you a run for your $ ;)
Robin
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have too many plants, and I needed to off load some at the auction.

You and me both! I was just looking yesterday at what I could move to make more room. The whole problem is that I can't get rid of things easily. I have some cuttings of N. reinwardtiana that my brother's dog chewed into near death over a year ago. The broken, chewed, and brown stems barely transmit enough water and nutrients to support a few tiny leaves on each of them. It's been over a year, and they are still TINY. They will never become big healthy plants; they are the Terry Shiavos of nepenthes. But I can't get rid of them. I have no room for more plants, but have a N. 'viking' from Trent, and a burb from Cook's on ebay on the way. Sigh.

Meanwhile, my neps are all growing, and there's clearly no room for that many large plants. What am I going to do? I don't know. I'll figure something out.

Capslock

Here's how fast N. x Predator is. The previous photo was exactly one month ago today. Here's what it looks like this evening. That whole pitcher grew and opened:
N_x_Predator7.sized.jpg

Capslock

hey whats that one the bottom right?

Ty:

No problem, steal away! This topic is for everyone!

rl & Caps:

Just build more growspace! I'm almost finished with a 48"w x 26"d x 36"h tank, up from a 30"w x 12"d x 12"h. That's from 4320 sq. in. to 44928 sq. in.! (An alternative would be to send all your rarest, most expensive specimens to me!)

Once again, lovely pics, Caps. I rather like the pitchers before they colour up, too.

-D. Lybrand

Back