What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.bauensis

Last weekend me and my buddies located another location in Bau where bauensis (gracilis x northiana) thrives,probably the only place here and in the world.Searching the area we managed to locate 5 matured plants, considering the vast area. They have 2 variation-slightly yellowish and red but both displaying the peristome of northiana. The shallow pools of water is also rich in plant life,probably utricularia.From the pix what do u see,any comment?

The habitat ,taken 7.ooam,note the heavy mist before the sun appears.It was blocked by the hills behind.
DSC_6478.jpg

from another angle and location
DSC_5441bauensis2.jpg

aquatic plants
DSC_6430alt.jpg

2 colors variation of bauensis
DSC_5452.jpg

bauensis3.jpg

northiana pitchers located here is slightly more reddish
DSC_3607.jpg

other comments - flora associated here, to name some-orchids(bromheadia,spathoglottis sp,arudinda,jewel orchid ),begonia and one-leaf plant,ferns,etc .weather-strictly lowland/hill-below 1000ft , hot,humid, cool/misty night,flooded when it rains.

Robert
smile_m_32.gif

Fantastic, Robert!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

The nights do appear to cool off a bit from the way the mist hangs low over the hills. At 7 am, what temperature would you guess? Humidity is certainly 90 percent+
Have you looked closely at the root system of the northiana to see what it is growing in?

Hi Trent - roots system-fine roots are shallow embeded on loose decay leaves,the main root penetrating crack lines of limestone to gain foothold.Very fragile indeed and have to be very careful when moving the pitchers or leaves.

As it's inland night temp.during hot/dry season can lingers around 28 °C, wet/rainy season night temp around 23°C.Day temp in Bau limestone is no different with other lowland area.

Robert

That red northiana is just killing me! I've come back to that picture several times this morning! One of the most beautiful of all Nepenthes...and most difficult to grow in cultivation.

Agreed Trent. Robert, once again, truly inspriational photos! Thank you a million times for posting them!

Capslock

Thank you Robert! Your contribution to the forums is priceless!

Cheers
Amori

Hi all,thanks for the reply. Trent i suspect the difference between captivity is the condition the roots beneath received from limestone-alkalinity,calcium carbonate.Just my thought.

Another northiana having all red peristome in the same locality but I didn't see any different in the growing condition.It's mind boggling
confused.gif

mypictures1.jpg

Robert

Wow those are fantastic shots (and good info about the substrate of northiana)! You're so lucky to be able to wander outside and take photos like that! I Can't wait to see shots of your next trip!
smile.gif

Great photos, Robert. The N. northiana is stunning.

Really appreciate your sharing of habitat photos and natural growing conditions. Your posts are an educational treat.

Many thanks,
KPG

Man those are fantastic!
I don't know if you want to swing the aquatic plants to a different spot, as those might be a Utric(I am not sure though) and some of those nuts(Fernando, Barry, Pyro) might want a peek.
Doesn't N. northiana look like it's made for flying insects to "bank" right in? If a pitcher was six feet tall, it would be perfect for a football throwing contest!

smile_n_32.gif

Cheers,

Joe

Hello,
thank you for the wonderful pics, northiana is certainly very beautiful! Maybe you should take a good pic of the root and substrate area if you visit the area again...I find it quite hard to 'picture' the growth habit that these limestone plants (and campanulata) have...
thanks again!
smile.gif

Swords,KPG thanks for the comment.Griffin i will post again in the proper section when i come back with more pics after the investigation. Lam, initially i was going to take photo sample of the roots and substrates but my mind was on another when the pitcher was spotted,only to realised when i reached home. Definitely am going again. Kinda good excuse my buddies will not refuse.

Robert:;):

Lam,again it's difficult to illustrate the roots and substrates in pics as the colour of dead leaves and shadows will be darken due to photo processing to bring out color balance.One way to solve is using black and white, or and I tried to imitate infrared process by first desaturate using photoshoppe. As we are more used to colors most will not like the results but it is best used to show,in this situation, the partially exposed roots and substrates. Try Imagine a layer of decay twigs and leaves where the plant taken root, more fine roots and the main root penetrating limestone cracks to have a firm hold beneath. Photo as follows. No doubt i will post again with a better images, but for the meantime
mad.gif

smile.gif

DSC_5022alt1.jpg

IR1.jpg

R001-019IR1alt.jpg

R001-019IRalt2.jpg

all images are altered to show the details-limestone surfaces,substrates

Robert
smile_m_32.gif

Back