What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ampullaria x talangensis

Boy that's looks great! The color must be from those new T5s eh?

reacted like typical lowland plants and look absoultely horrible from the chill.

Tony, have you had experience with lowlands getting like this and then bouncing back? What typically happens to them when they get too cold? I've got some that I'm a little worried about...

reacted like typical lowland plants and look absoultely horrible from the chill.

Tony, have you had experience with lowlands getting like this and then bouncing back? What typically happens to them when they get too cold? I've got some that I'm a little worried about...

They seem to do vairous things.. Some will produce pale colored new leaves that lack sufficient chlorophyll. Some will get really bad red blotching. Some like N. bicalcarata will simply turn yellow and then black in really short order. My biggest problem this year was with my irrigation water in the overhead sprinkler system. Even if I keep the air temperature fairly warm, the cold water (below 55 degrees f.) overhead sprinklers every couple days caused alot of deformed necrotic leaves on some seed grown N. ampullaria I couldn't fit in my isolated warm grow chamber. If you can correct the situation though and the plants live through it they will bounce back when temperatures warm up. The only challenge is if they will recover enough before the cold comes back next Winter! I used to have N. bellii out in the main greenhouse and every Winter they would get all pale and ugly and then during the Summer they would grow fine and look good. They lived this way for many years. Some lowland plants wouldn't recover enough during the warm season to survive the cold season though.

I've had several lowlands for several years and they always do great in the summer but they do suffer during the winter if I can't bring them inside. The small ones I move inside to a grow chamber. I just received these ampullarias from BE though, and they are suffering the typical shipping shock and now the cold is getting to them. They are too big for me to bring inside. Some leaves are already burned looking. I'm afraid I'm going to have to cut the growing stalk. I plan to just hang onto these and wait and see what they look like later in August. I'm worried about losing them, they were expensive!

That would be how I would describe damage on N. ampullaria from the cold, like a burn. Established plants can take it a bit better so that might be some of the problem. I think they will be ok though. Warm weather is around the corner. I wouldn't cut the stems though if the growth tip is still healthy. That will set them back much more. Maybe you can build a small cold frame type grow case inside your greenhouse for next Winter? That's what I have for my lowland plants. I have heat mats in mine, controlled by a thermostat, but the sun during the day is enough to heat it up quite a bit more than the main greenhouse since it is enclosed.

Hi folks,
This would be my first posting in this forum.

Incidentally, I was also asking the same thing about this hybrid. Please go to this link for more reference. Thankyou.

Tony, several of the growth tips were broken off during shipping, so I am thinkof of cutting those back, but not until the temps are more ideal for them. I know I was ordering large plants, but I guess I didn't realize how large they were. I have kept many lowlands through the winter and they are all doing great, and when it warms up more they will all go back outside, but the place I had set aside for these amps is way too small. So I am turning my heater on in the greenhouse to help keep it warmer, and I have some of them inside on a table. They are already looking a little better, but there's nothing to do about the burned leaves. Actually some of them came that way, so I'm thinking they were exposed to cold during shipping.

Back