What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery Weed

• Thread starter Pk93
  • Start date
I have been a bit neglectful of my terrarium plants lately and things have gotten a bit messy. I have a pot full of U. livida that all of a sudden became home to some sort of volunteer plant. I have had the pot in my terrarium for about 10 months so I'm not sure what triggered the seeds to germinate, and well, I'm not sure what germinated. They look somewhat familiar but I can't find a match on google.

31938383920_eb17660f8c.jpg

I've let them stay in the pot for about a month out of pure curiosity (read as laziness), but I'm going to be moving my plants into a larger terrarium soon and would like to know what it is before I pull them up and trash them. Anyone know what they are?

I just went though this. Another member on a different site identified the mystery plant as fern gameophyte. Your photo is hard to tell but you could compare an online image of the fern with what you see in your pot.

Sent from my S7 Edge via Tapatalk

Last edited:
That plant is not a fern. It's a flowering plant of some sort, but what per se couldn't say.

If it where me and I wanted to see it grow and get a better ID. I would transplant it to another pot and move it away from my CP so it doesn't get in to any of my other mots. Incas it intrusive or you don't want it.

Thank you for the responses!
The plants that look sort of like fern gametophytes are actually the U. livida that I'm growing in the pot; the weeds are the larger plants with the round leaves and long petioles.
yeah, I am probably going to let them stay in the pot for a while to get a better ID. After some more searching I think they may be some sort of wintergreen (Pyrola), but the leaf texture doesn't seem to match any of the species I have found pictures of. The largest plant looks like it is sending up an inflorescence, if that is the case, identifying it should be much easier.
Thanks again!

The plants that look sort of like fern gametophytes are actually the U. livida that I'm growing in the pot

Ya I realize the mistake I made [emoji15]

Sent from my S7 Edge via Tapatalk

Its not wintergreen. That is a woody plant with leathery leaves. Grows very low to the ground.

If it where me and I wanted to see it grow and get a better ID. I would transplant it to another pot and move it away from my CP so it doesn't get in to any of my other mots. Incas it intrusive or you don't want it.

At this point, the root system is probably too entangled in the livida to separate. I'd just grab some livida and start a clean pot of it.

Back