What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery pest

Just found 2 unknown bugs in my nepenthes pot, infestation doesn't seem high for either, but I don't know what they are, so I am very concerned.

1st. Very very small, about the size of these periods, maybe even smaller. Dark colored, either black or dark brown it is hard to say. They like the undersides of the leaves, don't seem to be going after new foliage, like to be towards the base of the leaf rather than the tip. No webs, move slowly. Currently not particularly numerous, no signs of leaf damage or anything else as far as I can tell. If I spray them, they stay on the leaf. Although I have seen what I would call Braille like bumps in the leaves, both new and old, they don't appear to be damage but my other nepenthes don't have them so I'm not sure.

2nd. Only one or two of these as far as I can tell, but they might be underground. About the size of springtails, fast moving, don't hop, ghostly white all over, white as white can be.

So what do you guys think they are, just random bugs or do you think they might be harmful? I need to know what kind of bugs they are to get rid of them properly, but I have never seen either before.

I wish I could take pictures, but the bugs are too small for my camera.

Sarah,
I suggest you do a Google Images search for "soil mites" and see if you recognize any of the species that show up in the results.

1st - Might be predatory mites. There's also a round and dark colored species of springtail that walks a steady pace like that but it does hop when pushed. That one may cause plant damage also.

2nd is probably thrips. Silvery, elongated and fast moving. They do hop but may be too quick for you to notice.

These are some of the bugs I've come to know over the years but for sure they might be different things, need photos really.

Well, I have the pesticide Sevin, concentrated form, kills both mites and thrips. Looked up mites, wish I hadn't, too many close ups, and like I said all I see are very small dots for the first one, I can't make out any details. The second could be thrips I guess, if there are white species of thrips, but I only see the white bug in the soil, not on the plant. Plus, it is more similar shaped to springtails than thrips.

Anyone ever used Sevin brand pesticide on nepenthes? Leaves and soil? The book Savage Garden lists it as potentially damaging drosera leaves, but the leaves will recover, but I have never used it on a nepenthes so I don't know how much to use or if there would be negative effects from using too much.

Well, it's definitely not scale or mealybug at least. And that apparently I caught both infestations apparently early, as I don't see them without really looking. And no damage had appeared... yet.

Well, it's definitely not scale or mealybug at least. And that apparently I caught both infestations apparently early, as I don't see them without really looking. And no damage had appeared... yet.

The only way to identify them without a camera is the old fashioned way. Try to snag one with a damp q-tip, pop it in a ziploc bag and freeze it. Get yourself a jeweler's loupe (usually 12x magnification) and then you'll be able to compare a little more closely to the pictures.

I haven't run into pests yet, but I think when it happens (notice I didn't say "if"), I think I'll look at some...err...less chemically severe pesticides, such as diluted soap....or something.

You don't want to use soap and the like, they are basic and will kill CPs.

You don't want to use soap and the like, they are basic and will kill CPs.

I didn't say I was going to do that...just that I was going to look into alternatives when the time came. Soap was just the first thing that popped into my mind. If it's an acid you need, maybe a vinegar solution?

I have neem oil, supposed to kill lots of stuff like mites too. But I hear horror stories about the smell, and it isn't like I can set a nepenthes outside in Michigan.

I didn't say I was going to do that...just that I was going to look into alternatives when the time came. Soap was just the first thing that popped into my mind. If it's an acid you need, maybe a vinegar solution?

Would you believe I live in a house with no vinegar?

Would you believe I live in a house with no vinegar?

I have a hard time believing that, yes. j/k

Vinegar's useful for a lot of cleaning applications, never mind red-wine vinegar for cooking. I always have a jug around.

Plus if you get bored, you can make a volcano with baking soda. :D

I used neem oil, I have never seen bugs drop so fast. Turns out my infestation was a bit worse than I originally thought though, but I guess that doesn't matter now. But boy is that smell fowl, oh man. At least it isn't as pervasive as I feared, I was worried it would stink up my whole house. It reminds me of the most rotten fruits with some sickly citrus added in. At least it comes off hands pretty easy.

I went for the hard stuff right away for spider mites. Lots of otherwise fantastic looking plants have the red guys on there and I just hit them with the Bayer 3-in-1 and it's pretty much set and forget. Theres almost no wrong way to use the stuff, I spray the soil and the crown, try to avoid the pitchers. Either way the plant is going to take it in and wreck any would-be parasite/pests. It also helps with fungus if you grow in an area with poor air circulation, or bacteria blooms. I grow outdoors so neither is really a problem.

The really good thing about Neem is that it isn't a pesticide, in the same way as Sevin or anything else that is really environmentally unfriendly. It's natural and CP safe. I use it for aphids. They don't go away quickly but they do away, and when their eggs hatch, they are eventually 'toast'. Neem does have a smell but it isn't that horrible. Could be worse....

The really good thing about Neem is that it isn't a pesticide, in the same way as Sevin or anything else that is really environmentally unfriendly. It's natural and CP safe. I use it for aphids. They don't go away quickly but they do away, and when their eggs hatch, they are eventually 'toast'. Neem does have a smell but it isn't that horrible. Could be worse....

Isn't horrible, I would hate to encounter what you do consider horrible if you don't think neem oil smells bad.

Back