What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mysterious dwarf pichers growing at base of Sarracenia purpurea

Hey all,

This is my first post so excuse me if I break any forum etiquette. I bought my first set of CPs mid-May when I got bored during quarantine (Sarracenia purpurea and Sarracenia x Scarlet Belle) and recently added a Venus flytrap. I've noticed that at the base of my Sarracenia purpurea there are little dwarf pitcher plants that never fully develop. They have hoods similar to my Sarracenia x Scarlet Belle but the color of my Sarracenia purpurea. Along with those dwarf plants, there are new smaller, skinnier pitchers (compared to the normal ones) that are more brightly colored. Two of these grew straight up in the middle and seem to attract flies much more than the other pitchers to the point where it was filled to the brim with them. Does anyone know what these pitchers are? (especially the dwarf ones)

Just to give a background of the plants growing conditions: I live in Alabama where I am a student at Auburn University (zone 8a) so they get about 10+ hours of sun. They are in water trays and I only water with distilled and very occasionally with tap that is 70ppm if I run out of distilled. The soil is a 40/60 sand and peat moss mix with decorative preserved reindeer moss on top. Also, something to note is that they have been kept next to each other for who knows how long since before I bought them at my local nursery, so I don't know if cross-pollination played a roll in these dwarf pitchers. Feel free to point out any problems you may see with my plant or plant care in the pictures I attached (like pest, the preserved reindeer moss, the ceramic pots and use pyrex bowls as water trays, etc.) Full resolution images: https://imgur.com/a/C5EIZtf

SOfBB4Vl.jpg
op07i1Ql.jpg

yFGxlDol.jpg
UCgbNK6l.jpg

Last edited:
Those are immature pitchers rising from a new growth point on your purpurea. Sarrs will lack many of their distinctive features until they mature a bit. Expect them to look more typically purpurea next season.

60-70% of the full-sized pitchers on my sarr grew over this summer and when they were first coming they still looked different than the little hooded ones. They were closed and shaped differently than these dwarf ones through all stages of growth. The dwarf ones have been there since I bought it in May, does that mean all the other new full-sized pitcher are coming from different, even older growth points? Thank you for your reply!

Last edited:
The mature pitchers and the immature pitchers are not on the same growth point, but they're the same plant. Typical purpurea habit to make dense stands of multiple closely-associated crowns.

Back