What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Sundews Germinated. Water Growing Gunk. What To Do?

I'm in a pickle.

Earlier this summer, I planted sundew seeds and VFT seeds. They're in separate pots in the same big watering tray covered with saran wrap, under a T5 fixture, with a fan blowing between the light and the saran wrap to keep the heat down. If the fan is off, it gets 100F in there.

Photo%20549.jpg

Photo%20525.jpg

Photo%20548.jpg

There is some funky stuff growing in there. I guess it's algae.

photo%202-4.jpg

photo%203-3.jpg

photo%204-3.jpg
j

I did not wash or rinse any of the soil ingredients before using.

The soil surface looks okay.

photo%202-5.jpg

photo%203-4.jpg

photo-5.jpg

I don't know what to do.

Dumping the water, cleaning out the tray, and using new distilled water would be easy enough, but it'd just get gunky again.

I could repot everything, but maybe I'd have to wait until the plants are bigger to do that. I could keep cleaning out the water container until the plants are big enough to repot.

I could clean the container and repot and remove the saran and keep the fan on them, but risk drying them out.

I'm not sure of what the temp would be with the lights and no saran and no fan. When I got the temp above 100F, it was under the saran.

Please help!!!

Hi there I have got similiar effects 1 time i did just let it dry out and clean the tray and start over then it got nice once again. Was not that mutch work needed.

Yeah, it looks like algae and what not. There's nothing you can do about except continuously washing the tray.

Your seedlings are looking great.

I usually let the tray go for a month without rinsing (it becomes a pain after a while) but even when you do rinse your media, it will still build up eventually.

yes, it will build up. i think it's ok. Plus, your plants look great. How big are they?

Back