What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My sundew will not die.

Finch

Whats it to ya?
Since I have been in college I have not had time for a CP collection. So I left my few plants at home in my parents [in]capable hands. That was 3 yeas ago. As expected, everything died… except the… D. aliciae. It is still alive after three years of tap water, on the windowsill (they removed my indoor greenhouse because it was “untidy” while I was gone) . It has not had water for weeks on end, only to receive a douse of tap in the tray when remembered. The soil has not been changed. I don’t have the time or materials when I am back.

They thought it was messy so I found it in a dark corner of my room out of sight last time I visited. The soil was bone dry.

And it is still alive! What? Capensis kicked the bucket years ago!
It does not look HEALTHY but it does not look unhealthy considering what it has been through.

This thing has outlived a semi succulent that I am *pretty* certain has received the same treatment (as I have not been around) and his done so for three years. This plant is seriously tough.

By all accounts it should have died. Is your D. aliciae so resilient also? If so, then this plant would beat capensis hands down for the best most bomb proof beginner plant.

Is all D. aliciae this tough?

Dang! Yet, my D. aliciae died in less than three days by pure SuperThrive LOL.

lol. i had the same experience. i had to leave my huge pot of Aliciae at home due to lack of room in my dorm, and surprisingly they still look amazing (btw, I have to say there is nothing cooler than not seeing your dews for a month, coming back and then seeing them be 2-3 times their original size. it seems like when you check them everyday, they just don't seem to get bigger.)

I've found D. alicae to be even more tolerable of my newbie abuse than my D. capensis was! Originally i topped all my pots with saran, giving no airflow and i had little light. my capes almost died until i brought them outside, but sure enough, my aliciae looked good.

Wow that sundew took a beating I'm glad it's such a tough plant and survived I never grew D. aliciae before, but they're pretty nice dews and this shows how tough this kind of dew is.

Back