What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my plan

im thinking about growing vfts, cape sundews and roundleaf sundews. i am aware that the roundleafs can be found in bogs throughout my province, so i think it would be best to grow them outside. and i think the capes and vfts should be grown indoors. since many of you have more experience than i do, what would be your suggestions? i live in place with warm and hot summers(sometimes dry or moist), and really cold winters(20 to 30 degrees celcius or lower). im plann9ng this early so i dont so many mistakes like i did last time. so if you do have suggestions or advise, that would be apreciated.

thanks.

what would the outdoor planting conditions be like? Are they in the ground or in pots?

You could get by with growing your vft's outside if you wanted. Are you going to be growing them in pots? Or just in the ground? If you grow them in pots you'll just have to be concerned about the soil freezing. However, if you bury the pot, the soil around the pot will help insulate the plant and it's roots. You may have to do some other preparations like putting a tarp over the plants to protect them from the freezing winds. Freezing winds will dry your plant out real fast, which is probably the biggest problem with growing plants in colder environments.

Also, if you have them in pots you can easily bring the vft's into a bigger dormancy spot, like a garage, an attic, or a cold room.

xvart.

edit: Whoops, Finch! I got distracted and couldn't post as fast as you!

Definitely grow the VFT's outside in FULL sun during the growing season for best coloration and growth. If your area gets really hot for long periods of time, then make sure they get a bit of shade during mid-day (when the sun's heat is most intense). Keep in mind that healthy VFT's can and will survive temperatures up to 100F and can adapt to low humidity (but humidity is not really an issue if you use a water tray with your pots). If you don’t have really intense summers, then I don’t see a reason for growing them indoors, unless you want to grow in a terrarium…

With more information on your climate and planned growing conditions, I’m sure someone will chime in and help you out regarding the dews.

i will be growing them outside in pots if the weather gets really warm in august. in the fall and early spring, indoors i think would work. the average summer day where i live is about 20-24 degrees celcius and sometimes 30. its pretty cool outside in the spring and fall. as for the sundews, capes will be indoors all year except for late summer. thr roundleafs will be mostly outside in the late spring and summer, then before the cold winter of death, i will move them into the fridge. the average winter day is -20-25 degrees below and sometimes -30-40. does this sound about right?

This is what works for me: The VFT's and D. rotundifolia I have in drained buckets, as a minibog. They are outside roughly from April through part of November. Then I tote them to the attic, at a window, and let them do a dormancy, where they get good and cold but don't freeze to death. BTW, I live in the Buffalo, NY area. That's just one approach.

Back