What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My outdoor Tucson, Az Sarracenia

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date
One of my purpureas started to get crispy. We’ve had like 3 weeks of 100+ days. The other sarracenia are loving it but this particular one looks terrible. Do you think putting it in the shade will help much? I’ve kept the soil very damp

Have you tried to keep the purpurea pitchers filled with water? That may help it.

Have you tried to keep the purpurea pitchers filled with water? That may help it.
Yes I have been watering the pitchers also when I fill their trays. I just watered them and even the small new growths have shriveled up. Hopefully it can make a recovery

My days have been up around 108 to 118 and mights only in the 80s for a while now, if your pot is smaller than what I'm using I'd be concerned about media temperature. The plant itself I believe is likely fine, but the rhizome doesn't wanna see those Temps. Also, if your purp is from northern location it could be even more sensitive to those Temps. Moving it to the shade would likely help.

Slap - Andrew's recommendation makes sense and one other thing comes to mind - are you using low ionic strength water and/or flushing the media so salts don't build up during this period of peak evaporation? We get enough rain that I've never encountered a problem with that (or weeks of 100+ days either), but I know that some people have to deal with it.

Slap - Andrew's recommendation makes sense and one other thing comes to mind - are you using low ionic strength water and/or flushing the media so salts don't build up during this period of peak evaporation? We get enough rain that I've never encountered a problem with that (or weeks of 100+ days either), but I know that some people have to deal with it.
I’ll try a flush. I’ve moved the pot to a shadier location

Rain for monsoon season is gone, days are still hot (90s) but nights are no longer in the 80s and are now in the 60s. 3 Sarrs in this pot are showing their appreciation! The 2 are just starting to.
20231005_073359.jpg
20231005_073333.jpg
20231005_073323.jpg

'Looks like everything made it through with no real issues.

I know this post is a bit dated but I thought I would throw my 2 cents worth in. Take it from someone with experience, cover those plants with a cage of some sort or set up an alarm. Squirrels literally decimated almost my entire collection of CP's this past summer. Fortunately the most recovered but I did lose a couple of really nice plants. I ended up purchasing a couple of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078BC54SJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

If you need larger they also sell larger ones. Chicken wire works well for the top if you do not trust they will not fall in but I built the centers up also.

Where about in Tucson are you? Lived there until 1974 when mom moved us to Montana. I lived off of Golflinks and El Camino Real. I have an Aunt that lives on Peregrine Way.

S. Crimson Queen finally pitchered again, opening just a couple days ago. I noticed yesterday the new pitcher was bent over and stuck into the leuco pitchers. ...new predator unlocked! :oops::ROFLMAO: 🌪
I remember getting caught in some pretty massive dust storms as a kid. Not fun being pelted in the face with high speed sand.

What about painting that planter white? I Have switched from black/darker pots to white where possible. Seems to drop the media temp down a bit and I live in the PNW.

What about painting that planter white? I Have switched from black/darker pots to white where possible. Seems to drop the media temp down a bit and I live in the PNW.
'Makes me think about the new heat-reflecting paints that are out there.

Yea, that or even the rubberized paint. Both would be a good insulator.

Back