What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new bog

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
Hopefully my new plants will do well and they'll fill in nicely :) Oh, a question... How can I water overhead without having the plants get loose from the dirt? Will the LFS help with that? I have some baby VFT's and a couple baby Droseras in there that didn't do so well when I watered them. Should I use a spray bottle? Thanks!

PENTAX1149.jpg

PENTAX1157.jpg

get a slightly bigger bucket and go with the "tray method" :) watering from the bottom will solve all of those problems also you cant check water level from topwatering... not to mention no drainage in case of a big storm your plants would all drown, assuming their outside that is...

get a slightly bigger bucket and go with the "tray method" :) watering from the bottom will solve all of those problems also you cant check water level from topwatering... not to mention no drainage in case of a big storm your plants would all drown, assuming their outside that is...

But this is a deep tupperware box, so if I put it in a larger one with water, how will the water go up all the way to the plants? There's about a foot of dirt on the bottom. As for draining, I have holes in it and I put gravel on the bottom, then the dirt.

There's about a foot of dirt on the bottom.

what kind of dirt?

You should have some method to create standing water at the bottom, to keep it wet enough..
if you have a 12" deep bog with drainage holes at the bottom, allowing no standing water, I think it will be too dry..

For my minibogs:
http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page5a.html
I have the drain holes about 3" from the surface..everything under that level is waterlogged.

and your VFT's are planted too deep!
the crown shouldnt be under ground that far.
the crown, where all the individual leaves come together at the top of the rhizome, should be right at, or just barely below the surface.

Scot

the benefit of having the "foot of dirt" which we're all hoping is a cp mix and not actual soil... is that once you've got it set up in a tray type situation it'll hold water for a really long time without needing more... you know how normally you can let the tray dry out for a couple days? yours will be able to stay dry for a lonnnnngggg time ... I have a long rectangular bog with most of my vft's in it and its about ohh... 8-10'' deep it'll stay nice and watered for 2 weeks at a time and my temps are between 80-95 everyday... granted it'll take a ton of water to wet it all down at first... but once you've got it going it'll be easy to maintain...

if you hadnt already created it you could've left no holes in bottom and ran a tube down and across the bottom of it with small holes and ran the other end of the tube up and out of the medium on a side and taped it down and used a funnel to water it... again though its hard to gauge how muh water you have in it if you do that... unless you do the pvc pipe technique that alot of larger bog owners use...

do some searching around you'll see lots of inspiring bogs and different approaches to watering it...

topwatering is very rarely the answer however...unless its rain :)

Back