What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new Aldrovanda

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Hello, :) I received my aldrovanda today from Clint for the auction (and some replacement for a trade we had... (side note: do NOT ship aldrovanda too wet... It doesn't like it. UNLESS it comes in water. (if that makes any sense! haha)) He wanted pictures of them in the tank... But I don't know if there will still be sunlight when I make it over to the green house, and who knows when I'll get over there next. So here they are as of now.

Andrew

Sorry for the dirty aldrovanda-tank water I sent hehe.
You did a good job with the pics. It's hard to get good pics of the traps.

man! this is one of my plants on a wish list that I hope I will get the opportunity to grow sometime in my future. I love to have a "aquatic VFT". :)

OH Clint... I wasn't going for a trap closeup... Just general condition, then the closer one for fun... Wanna see close? Here is an empty trap, and one with food in there :) Better? ;-)

Sorry for the dirty aldrovanda-tank water I sent hehe.
You did a good job with the pics. It's hard to get good pics of the traps.

I second that. Andrew, you did a fantastic job with those pics!!!

Andrew is a professional photographer. Nice Aldrovanda. I should get a tank for them and some aquatic Utricularia, all it'd need is maybe some warm water, some bottom media and... yeah, doesn't sound too hard!

Well, I spread my aldrovanda into 3 different tanks... I put most of them in one tank that seemed to be doing the best with the few aldrovandas I got a week or so prior... So anyway- They all seem to be doing good!! (I didn't take a picture of the one in my dad's fish tank, but it is doing well also) so here is a picture of the plants in each of the 3 tanks :)

adnedarn. Are you sure your aldrovanda will succeed (well, long term) in a fish aquarium? Low light levels, constant algae problems, nutrients from the fish food, etc.

Nice looking plant(s)! Someday I'd like to procure a specimen. I remember when I was visiting elgecko, he had some Aldrovanda. I think it was actually in an outside filter of his Discus tank.

adnedarn. Are you sure your aldrovanda will succeed (well, long term) in a fish aquarium? Low light levels, constant algae problems, nutrients from the fish food, etc.

Nutrients are good. Unbalanced nutrients are bad. You have to have certain ratios of macros and trace elements AND proportional light and CO2 levels related to your nutrients AND enough plants to suck them up (so you can add more) and that's the secret to a fancy planted aquarium without significant algae (you'll always have algae no matter what. You have to strike a balance).

It was very hard for me, while maintaining a reef was easy peasy (go figure!)

The best plants I ever saw were flowering in an aquarium under PC lighting, nutrient supplementation and CO2 injection.

Actually, it wasn't even under the lights but it's still alive. Now I've added a single flourcent tube over the plant in the fish tank and we'll see if anything changes there. The thank providing the best aldro at this point is the planted tank. Which has a lot of algae in it, but it also has aldro strands up to about 8" long.

Back