What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Mini Bog Garden

Hi everyone!

First time trying to post pics on here, so hopefully I do it right :-D

I created a miniature bog garden for my little CP collection a bit over a month ago and so far it seems to be going really well! I love checking it every morning to see what it has captured out on my balcony. I water it by filling the pond, which drains down into the bottom of the planter. This is home to my 2 VFTs, 3 Sarracenia and 1 Sundew (with many tiny offspring lol). I took these pics when I first planted it, but I'll add some more recent ones soon to show the new growth. All of these CPs were newly acquired (or rather rescued) which is why they look a bit sad and dry here. I'd love to build a large one in the garden eventually!

Nice collection you have going there!

Looks to be a nice mini bog setup. Have you seen any native carnivorous plants, being in Australia?

Nice collection you have going there!

Thanks Tanukimo! I love them. Unfortunately the only one that came with an identification label was the Sundew lol :-D

Looks to be a nice mini bog setup. Have you seen any native carnivorous plants, being in Australia?

Thanks Grey Moss :-D I have not found any myself so far, but I've not been looking long - I think there are quite a lot between Perth and Geraldton (unfortunately there is not much else out there lol). I'm defiantly keeping a look out, will be very exciting when I do find some!

What size pot is that and what's all in there. It's incredibly fascinating

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What size pot is that and what's all in there. It's incredibly fascinating

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks girlygirl1010 :-D The bowl is about 30cm across with a layer of pebbles, charcoal, sand then a 50/50 peat and sand mix. I purchased all of the plants from garden centres so besides the sundew, they came generically packaged. I have two "Fang" Venus Flytraps in there, one is red/green and the other is all green. There are three small Pitcher Plants which are all different from each other. The Sundew is a Drosera capensis.
I actually posted a tutorial on how to make a mini bog garden on my website, if you would like a more detailed step by step with pictures;

http://www.studio8t4.com/make-a-mini-carnivorous-plant-bog-garden/

Update - 5 Weeks Later

Here's a few shots I took today, only 5 weeks on - plenty of new pitchers and new traps happening :love:
(we had a couple of very hot days a few weeks back, so it's still sitting inside another planter)

34934034954_aa670403ce_z.jpg

34964773653_28af9288b3_z.jpg

34934036844_bf7164ba6c_z.jpg

34934060344_dfb84c55ae_z.jpg

35734033736_d8036f11bd_z.jpg

35734042066_2642bd9008_z.jpg

35386884370_8e99ef541d_z.jpg

35775115825_4f2cd5ca86_z.jpg

34964793943_c4be3e41e0_z.jpg

35386877130_9671904541_z.jpg

34964793253_aa8fe8f900_z.jpg

34964798143_20d5da62cc_z.jpg

I don't know what that S. purpurea hybrid is but it is striking. 'Looks like you are on your way to a D. capensis garden.

Looks like your bog garden is coming along nicely.

I don't know what that S. purpurea hybrid is but it is striking. 'Looks like you are on your way to a D. capensis garden.

Sadly I have no idea either! I picked it up from a hardware store when I was on a road trip, it was completely green when I first got it. It's coloured up quite a bit since then :D Yes my mind is blown by how many tiny capensis are sprouting haha I think everyone will be getting one for Christmas!

Looks like your bog garden is coming along nicely.

Thanks Tanukimo :awesome: I'm surprised by how well it's going! I don't have the best track record when it comes to gardening...lol
Having much more luck with CPs

Unwelcome Intruder Alert!

Found two of these sneaky little things in my mini bog garden, munching away at my beautiful pitcher plants! :censor: I don't know how they avoided being eaten by one of my CPs (up until today) but they did a huge amount of damage for such a tiny insects! I drowned the first one in a pitcher and stuck the second one to my sundew, so my plants got revenge......are they baby caterpillars or something else? anyone know? I hope that there aren't anymore of them hiding in there...

35968870791_e8e7edea13_z.jpg

Looks really nice. Was thinking of doing a bog garden my self at some point. Not sure what that little thing is though. Has it done damage to your plants?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Found two of these sneaky little things in my mini bog garden, munching away at my beautiful pitcher plants! :censor: I don't know how they avoided being eaten by one of my CPs (up until today) but they did a huge amount of damage for such a tiny insects! I drowned the first one in a pitcher and stuck the second one to my sundew, so my plants got revenge......are they baby caterpillars or something else? anyone know? I hope that there aren't anymore of them hiding in there...

I'm not sure what kind but an insect larva certainly. There may well be eggs among your plants, in the soil, etc. so I would suggest keeping a sharp eye on things for awhile.

Do you have s cleared pic looks like moth fly larvae

Looks really nice. Was thinking of doing a bog garden my self at some point. Not sure what that little thing is though. Has it done damage to your plants?

Thanks Phil :-D I'd love to make a larger one eventually. They ate the whole top off one pitcher and put tiny holes in a lot of others. I think they will be fine though, just need to look out for any more of them. Don't know how they managed to navigate around so easily without being eaten!

I'm not sure what kind but an insect larva certainly. There may well be eggs among your plants, in the soil, etc. so I would suggest keeping a sharp eye on things for awhile.

I certainly will be bluemax! Yuck, I hope not - had another look this morning but couldn't see any. I rinsed off the tiny black specks that would have been bug poop, so if that re-appears I'll know there's more in there!

Do you have s cleared pic looks like moth fly larvae

I don't sorry Phil, have ordered some macro filters but they haven't arrived yet. Hopefully they get here soon, so I can take a close up pic if I find any more of them.

Looks fabulous Rachel. Shame about the bugs. Looks like some kind of moth or caterpillar larvae.
I used to drown my plants in a bucket and leave it there for ten minutes to get rid of insect nasties.

Last edited:
Back