What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My little greenhouse

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
Finally got this put up to use as a cold frame for my Drosophyllum and sarr seedlings in winter. My first greenhouse, 4W x 6.25L x 6.25H. Just need to finish the outside and get it staked down. I know it is not much compared to the awesome setups I see on here, but the best I can do at this time for what I need it for (got to start somewhere, eh?). I don't know if I can grow anything in there in summer as it is like over 100 degrees in there right now, 80s outside, and finances prevent modifications at this time. It is set up on the south side of the house with full sun exposure when it does decide to shine here in winter. I have a little heater I can run in there this winter if need be to see if I can keep the temps above freezing somewhere in the 40s range.

IMG_3702_zpsa2b52d02.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_3709_zpse2c7f68a.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_3706_zpsb331dbee.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_3715_zps582aa9e4.jpg
[/IMG]

My gravel spreader, haha
IMG_3716_zpsc6d93931.jpg
[/IMG]

Hubby and Abi relaxing with a brew after their work is done; a boy and his dog!
IMG_3442_zps701d4b43.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_3449_zps0e277d4a.jpg
[/IMG]

hey.. yours has a window. I had that same exact GH, but no window, and mine was clear. The sundews LOVED it in there.

hey.. yours has a window. I had that same exact GH, but no window, and mine was clear. The sundews LOVED it in there.

It has two small windows, one on each side. I need to figure a way to close those off better for winter as they only have a little velcro at the bottom to cover, but does not seal enough and lets in too much air. Will be an interesting trial and error for me this being my first attempt.

umm.. cover the whole thing in the large grade bubble wrap? Will help insulate it as well..

Excellent! Any addition to your grow space is a good thing. Even the smallest of greenhouses comes in mighty useful!

Excellent! Any addition to your grow space is a good thing. Even the smallest of greenhouses comes in mighty useful!

Start small and learn, then aspire to what you have, haha.

Looks like my bigger mini greenhouse, 'cept mine is also clear, and it's in my living room. :D

Keep in mind that the "shady" side of the greenhouse can be insulated with nearly any kind of insulation without impeding the light...
so even styrofoam insulation can be used there. (Or bales of hay or even bricks & anything that will cut down on heat loss.)

Also, there are some thermostat outlets & other cheaper types used on farms, to turn on things like heaters & such
before the temp gets to freezing. These may save your plants in the event of a hard freeze.
Check around for them, as some are not too expensive at all, & an electric heater plugged into one may help your situation.
Good luck! A greenhouse is a real learning experience!

very nice. I hope to have one in the future but the time is not right yet.....always good to have a helper as well :) .

Keep in mind that the "shady" side of the greenhouse can be insulated with nearly any kind of insulation without impeding the light...
so even styrofoam insulation can be used there. (Or bales of hay or even bricks & anything that will cut down on heat loss.)

Also, there are some thermostat outlets & other cheaper types used on farms, to turn on things like heaters & such
before the temp gets to freezing. These may save your plants in the event of a hard freeze.
Check around for them, as some are not too expensive at all, & an electric heater plugged into one may help your situation.
Good luck! A greenhouse is a real learning experience!

Thank you for the tips! I do have access to bales of straw. The little heater I have is thermostat-controlled and I do have timers to use if I need that (will also come in handy if I add shop lights to the shelves in the future, LOL, here I go).

It all looks so good. I like the dingo-dog, too.

Cute dog! And nice greenhouse kit!

Back