What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My gliders finally did it!

Yay! How fun! I am so excited for you! So was the mother mad or territorial when you started prodding around in her pouch? What do you suppose the licking was about that you mentioned?

Since they have mated once now, will they do it again? You said they had never mated before. Was it because they were not mature enough, or just shy? Maybe now they will mate like there is no tomorrow.

How fun!

xvart.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (xvart @ Dec. 26 2006,7:50)]Yay! How fun! I am so excited for you! So was the mother mad or territorial when you started prodding around in her pouch? What do you suppose the licking was about that you mentioned?

Since they have mated once now, will they do it again? You said they had never mated before. Was it because they were not mature enough, or just shy? Maybe now they will mate like there is no tomorrow.

How fun!

xvart.
No the momma was not mad at all! I was suprised actually, but her and I have a very strong bond
smile.gif
She licked her pouch when I looked in on them just to make sure her baby was alright. She will be paying a lot of attention to her pouch now, just to make sure her baby is doing ok. We're not out of the woods yet, sometimes the parents will kick the baby out and/or even eat it if they feel it's not healthy. I'm just praying that won't happen. But so far so good! The daddy is being very protective though, not towards me but if anyone gets near the cage he pokes his head out of the pouch to make sure they don't get too close, like my dog and Jeff. He doesn't do it to me because I handle them everyday, whereas Jeff doesn't so they're not that used to him. I'm sure they will mate again, but we're not really sure if we want them to. Gliders don't mate as often as rats do, they mate like crazy, but gliders only mate about 4 times a year. We may just go and get the daddy neutered or we have to seperate them but I don't want to cause they are soulmates
smile.gif
We're hoping the baby is a girl so we will only have to neuter the dad cause we don't want any inbreeding. They didn't mate any earlier I think because they were not ready yet. They're eating their dinner right now, so it looks great so far
smile.gif
Wish us luck, we want a happy healthy baby!

Nikki,
Congrats on being a glider grandma.
Lois

Thanks Lois! I've been trying to call my mom all day to tell her she's a new Grammy
wink.gif.gif

Well just 2 months, 1 week and 1 day till the little baby comes out of pouch
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Dec. 27 2006,11:22)]yay! babys! how much do they cost?
Just regular standard grey babies go for about $150 USD, but there are other types of gliders, like white faced ones that are way more expensive, around $300-$400 USD! Also some white tip tailed ones and cinnamon colored ones, also white with black eyes, those guys are more expensive, around $600 USD. Our female came from a white faced mom and a standard grey dad so she has the white faced gene in her, so her baby might be white faced as well
smile.gif
We are not selling this little baby though, he/she is ours
smile.gif

Well we decided to call the little one Scubee (pronounced Scooby), I came up with the name and Jeff came up with the new spelling for it
smile.gif

Now all you need is some Scubee snacks.

And peanuts....

Already got those....now we just need some SKITTLES! *taste the rainbow*
tounge.gif

Oh EVERYONE needs more skittles.

I can't ever get enough.

Here are some pics I just took of the new mom and dad
smile.gif

New20.jpg

New13.jpg

New11.jpg