What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My First U. longifolia Flower

Copper sent me a clump of U. longifolia over a year ago. I put it in a large pot and it grew like crazy but never flowered until now. I was so thrilled I had to share it with others.

U_long_3.jpg

The whole stalk of flowers.
U_long_2.jpg

A closer shot of the open bloom.

Dude that is awsome. I can't wait for mine to send up stalks.

Great job. Do ya have any pics of the pot it's in, like the setup?

-Ben

that is SWEET, mine has been working up to flowering for a month or more now, I was worried that it was taking too long but seeing the size of the flowers I guess it is doing okay, now I am even more excited after seeing what I'm in for, thanks for posting this!!

PS I have my totally pot-bound, in a tray in a south facing window where it lives year-round, don't know exactly what actually triggered the flower as I was under the imression that a lot of folks grow these with no flowering ever taking place....
Hopefully I can get a pics when the big day arrives!!

Mine took quite awhile to send up the stalk and finally open -- about a month. Mine started flowering after it warmed up this spring. The nights were fairly cool (for here -- central Florida) 50's until late March. As soon as the nights warmed up to the low 70's to upper 60's that's when the flower stalk started. But I do not know if that is what caused it or if it was the increase in light levels or what.

I am just happy it did!

Another flower is open. I'll have to take a photo tomorrow. I tried just now but the flash washed the colow all out.

As far as the pot Drosera it's just a plain gallon black plastic pot you would buy a plant from a store in. The soil is peat and perlite 50/50 with some long fiber spagnum mixed in. That pot sits in a tray that comes up to 75% the heoght of the pot. I keep it filled with rain or RO water. It is actually an ugly set up for such a beautiful flower. I think I will get a nicer pot to put it in in the future.

I've been learning that many Utrics, other than livida, sandersonii white, and bisquamata will flower a year after one adds them to thir collection. They just seem to need a year to get adjusted. Also, flooding and varying temps & light, due to seasonality, play into it. They seem to know when spring is around.

I have to say I am getting sick of all the longifolia flowers! They are starting to make me feel incomtetent! I have 5 clones of this plant and not one has flowered for me!

I can bloom alpina. I can bloom asplundii. I can bloom nephrophylla. I can bloom jamesonia. I can bloom 'Jitka'. I can bloom preatermissa. But when it comes to this plant I get nothing!! Why does it hate me so!?! ARRRGHHH!

Not to rub it in Pyro...but I did promise to post another photo when another flower opened. So here it is.
U_long_1_42506.jpg

I wish I had some sage advice on getting U. longifolia to flower but it just kind of happened this April. The longifolia diety smiles upon me for a season I guess.  
smile_n_32.gif

Very nice. Keep up the good work. I've got two clones of U. longifolia myself, though it could be a little while before they are ready to flower. I've heard that underpotting them helps; they bloom because they are stressed. I'm going for the healthy plant approach - I'll give them the conditions that make them happy. Happy plants flower.

Peter

cphog, I don't suppose you have any extras of your plant?
smile_n_32.gif

-Ben

Back