What's new

My first tuberous dews

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
Supporter
After a long wait, they finally sprouted. Thank you Johnny for giving me the opportunity to grow these!

D. menziesii

23322687370_bda12a9b59_z.jpg
[/url]D. menziesii by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

D. modesta

22991331333_0fb7597860_z.jpg
[/url]D. modesta by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

You're very welcome Djoni. You're doing a great job with them ! Be sure to feed them heavily so they have the energy they need for dormancy and to produce daughter tubers.

That is so cool, and congrats! I wasn't able to last year, but I am hoping this summer that I'll be able to grab some more tubers. I always get nervous with them during dormancy, but then they all pop back up again and reassure me. They survive outside surprisingly well. I had some TINY D. moorei in a 4" pot that were blasted with full sun and 100+F temps this summer and didn't skip a beat.

One thing I always do is never grow them in standing water. Ever, not even in active growth. Frequent top-watering exclusively.

I grow all of mine in standing water during the growing season, it doesn't bother them at all. There's even a few species that I keep in very shallow standing water for dormancy.

Looks great. I can't wait to try some of these, thought I'm more interested in rosetted and scrambling species than the taller ones.

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
Supporter
Update on my first try at growing tuberous dews, 2+ months after the last photos were taken. They seem to be growing good in my garage window under shop lights and I am hoping they flower for me.

25056217095_d6d68609a2_z.jpg
[/url]D. modesta by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

24938122362_114f2dc854_z.jpg
[/url]D. menziesii by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
Supporter
That should be coming into dormancy soon, right?

I don't know when they will go into dormancy here as it will depend on the outside temps, but it will have to warm up quite a bit more here. I am hoping to get at least another month or two before they start into dormancy.

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
Oh, it's pretty much spring here. Where did you get that, was it already established to seasons in the north northern hemisphere? Thanks.

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
Supporter
I got my tuberous dews last year from Bluemax as planted tubers and he received the tubers from Cthulhu138, so they were already established to northern hemisphere seasons.

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
Supporter
Looks like it's getting a bit tall!

Yes, but not as tall as D. modesta can get from what I understand. I have not measured its height for a while, need to document that soon though. The one next to it in the same pot is producing flower buds now and only a little more than half the height of the other one. I am still waiting for flowers on the D. menziesii, which is a shorter and fuller plant by nature.