What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first mini bog!!

Can't wait to get into the new house (3 more weeks) so I can put this pot in the ground. I need to make some more additions to it. I don't like all of the empty space. Anyone care to make some birthday donations, or answer to my sarr request in the trade thread?

Contents: D. rotundifolia, S. x catesbaei, typical Dionaea

100_4664.jpg

100_4655.jpg

100_4657.jpg

100_4658.jpg

100_4659.jpg

100_4660.jpg

100_4661.jpg

100_4663.jpg

100_4666.jpg

You could put your Cobra Lily in there if it ever comes :-))

That's a nice start.

I had a mini bog once. The squirrels ate my fly traps, and the sarrs never came out of dormancy. :D

I decided to add some of the dews I have an abundance of to it. Right off the top of my head that would be D. capensis 'Alba', D. venusta, and D. capallaris 'Long Arm'. We'll see how those work out.

south african dews in there! hey man if you have too many vensutas ill throw you a sase maybe???

I added my open-pollinated sarr sprouts, and a bunch of D. capensis 'Alba'. Now they all just need to grow into it a bit.

Looks like a great start!

Now you just need like 10 more flytraps to fill that baby in!

Mine, planted this spring, will include the rotunds you gave me, S. Purpurea, S x Judith Hindle (looks like I got 2), a 'red pirannha' flytrap, and 6-12 typical VFT's depending on how big the clump I get is. I wanted to keep my first one primarily VFT's. I might throw my S. Minor in the mix too- I haven't decided yet.

You gonna use the 'fridge' method for dormancy?

Now you just need like 10 more flytraps to fill that baby in!

Mine, planted this spring, will include the rotunds you gave me, S. Purpurea, S x Judith Hindle (looks like I got 2), a 'red pirannha' flytrap, and 6-12 typical VFT's depending on how big the clump I get is. I wanted to keep my first one primarily VFT's. I might throw my S. Minor in the mix too- I haven't decided yet.

You gonna use the 'fridge' method for dormancy?

Haven't decided yet.. I don't think I'll have a big enough fridge. :0o:

I love your Sarr. I'm making a minibog too, but with large plants.

Haven't decided yet.. I don't think I'll have a big enough fridge. :0o:

Remember, the 'fridge' method also includes keeping them in an unheated garage or basement (which is what I'm going to try). Check out that link I sent you that you bookmarked. Temps should stay just above freezing to in the 40's during dormancy to keep them in "suspended animation".

I'm going to just keep them in the pots, cut off the foliage and bag them for a few months. We'll see what happens... hopefully they'll all pop back up in February.

Back