What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My drosera leafs looks weird... help?

Uhmmm..... Not sure why the leafs are curling like that or the tentacles are acting weird.

Could it be from the one or two days of 80-90 weather?

IMG_1243_zpsz1oiiqtk.jpg

IMG_1244_zpsqj51fuxt.jpg

IMG_1245_zpss7mkbcbx.jpg

Could be from the temps, especially if the humidity dropped below 15-20%. I don't see any aphids or mealybugs but a check for those wouldn't hurt.

It takes a lot to kill D. capensis but it isn't indestructible. Just keep it from drying out and it should bounce back. If you've had the plant for some time I might think it was time for media change.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.... Ya I've checked for bugs in past week and don't see them. I'm monitoring the new leads to see if they end up looking the same.

I've had this plant for almost 9 months.

Thanks NAN

I noticed it seems to be producing a flower stalk. Have you been feeding it before this happened?

no i haven't and honestly it's surrounded by bigger droseras which i think is taking food sources away from it. Maybe i should feed it?

I personally would not recommend feeding it at this time. It is very distressed and many of the leaves don't have dew. My own opinion of the soil is that it appears quite dense and compact. The pot also seems pretty shallow from the first pic. I had a capensis that looked like crap, but I repotted it into a mix of 50/50 peat & sand, and a much deeper pot, and it is now doing great. If you have no interest in seeing the flowers & collecting seed, I would cut off the flower stalk just to be safe. I heard you can try to propagate plants from their cut flower stalks so that might be something fun to try.

It doesn't look unhealthy to me, more like insects have been crawling over the leaves disturbing the tentacles. I've had leaves look similar after trying to feed the plant something a bit too large and it escaping. As long as the new growth looks normal and it doesn't suddenly lose all its dew it should be fine.

And if I'm honest, it looks a lot healthier than the vast majority of sundew pictures I see online from people's collections.

Last edited:
Back